BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 Mass Air Flow Conversion -- again
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  15:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark at Split Second, who has had my conversion kit for over a year, desperately wants to take readings from someone's 745. I know we have a number of southern California members and I am sure that if they call or stop by Split Second in Santa Ana, they can work out a deal to get a very, very attractive price for the conversion if they allow Split Second to take the necessary readings.

Jon Jacobs, who was working with Mark of SS, may not be getting out there, so we need another volunteer. The problem, to date, as I understand it is for them to learn what the correct voltages are for our air flow meter. The system is apparently a good one, but SS cannot develop the correct one without a local 745. Their address is 1949 East Deere Ave., Santa Ana, California and the phone # is 949-863-1359.

See their site at www.splitsec.com for some pretty sophisticated electronics.

Rick

Bob745_Dallas
Gas-fueled God

311 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  18:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was the problem three years ago when I contacted them. Thought they'd found one by now.
Go To Top Of Page

turbo535im
Over 745 Posts!

832 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  19:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant see why that should be a problem, like you said many members in Cali.
Go To Top Of Page

Jon 86 745 MS
Over 745 Posts!

1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  19:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to mark awhile back about me getting the information he needed to make the corrections. I just have been so busy at work that the cars have not been my priority. If someone does not come through soon then maybe I can get back on the prodject.

Jon Jacobs
85 Korman 745i (AKA Das Borg) R.I.P.
86 745i (Die Rakete)(no mas :(
1.2 bar + Boost with
Team WWW.745i.com Performance Parts
Go To Top Of Page

jacob james
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  22:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi rick, it may be the beer talking, but i'm down. i live about an hour south of his shop. my car is raring to go. it's totally stock, except the nology wires, n. coil, beru silvertone plugs, k&n filter, and marine deck plate that i installed into my air box cover. i have had the valve head competly rebuilt, the turbo was rebuilt, along with flow testing the fuel injectors (one need replacing.) the car is pretty much stock and would be an excellant car for study.
i have experienced a little bucking under hard throttle stompies. my mechanic @ k.b. motorsports thought it to be the air flow meter giving giving me problems. he said his car was experiencing the same problem. after running on a 5 gas analysis test, the bucking has seemed to go away. thank you! one less problem to deal with.
the thought of a new air fuel meter still lingers. if i could get somethig beter than stock i would rather upgrade than trade.
sign me up! where do we go from here? can you set this up? let me know, like i said i'm down.
tell him i'm on my way!
Go To Top Of Page

turbo535im
Over 745 Posts!

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2003 :  03:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you still have a glitch they will find it when they map it out. Just hope they catch it and dont design it into the split second unit.
Go To Top Of Page

turbo535im
Over 745 Posts!

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2003 :  03:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that they will dyno the car, otherwise they would have just used an air flow meter by it self. I wonder if they will release the map of the stock meter so it can be posted? They will most likely need more than one as a comparator. One car shoud be ok all they have to do is swap in a second meter. Then again it would be nice for them to have a stock car and one with the usual mods we use. Posibly a 545 also.
Go To Top Of Page

turbo535im
Over 745 Posts!

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2003 :  03:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any 545 guys in Cali that could help out?
Go To Top Of Page

Jon 86 745 MS
Over 745 Posts!

1423 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2003 :  05:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jacob, I can send you my entire setup that is ready to just drop in. Once you get it on and Mark sets it up you will be set to go. This would make everything a little easier as there are several mods needed to mount everything. Once you have set it up then you can just copy what I did on your install if you decide to get a setup of your on.

Let me know if and when you set up an appointment with Mark.

Jon Jacobs
85 Korman 745i (AKA Das Borg) R.I.P.
86 745i (Die Rakete)(no mas :(
1.2 bar + Boost with
Team WWW.745i.com Performance Parts
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2003 :  09:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John and Jacob,

This sounds like a workable plan. I would call Mark at Split Second and confirm with him that you have communicated with Rick Aland and Jon Jacobs and relate to him Jon's proposal. That should make the process quick and easy, but I would confirm that he can do it in a very short time frame so that you are not stuck having with the car in SS's shop for long. That is really a great thought from Jon.

Rick
Go To Top Of Page

jacob james
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2003 :  20:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey rick and john,

I have fridays off from work. Rick, could you let Jon know that i'll be on my way. John, anytime you're ready to send out your part! I could either install it at home or up at S.S
I could call jon up at S.S. and schedule a friday that works best for him (then we could go from there.) I'll get up there bright and early so he is allowed enough time to work.
The bucking issue is no longer. my mechanic setup the air flow meter nicely. It has never done it since. I really don't want anyone tweeking on my fuel meter, because it's set up perfect and i would hate for the bucking to return.
Thanks to you guys for the consideration! Jake
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.97 secs. Snitz Forums 2000