BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 Great results after cleaning intercooler & piping
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

TCD
Garage Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  07:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This weekend I dismanted the intercooler and all the piping. I cleaned the piping and all fitting in and out with a cleaner and pressure washer. I filled the intercooler with gasoline and let it sit for about 30 minutes and then emptied it. The intercooler was wet with oil prior to the cleaning. While the intercooler was out, I removed the fog light to increase the flow of air to the intercooler.

Results are noticiable. Spool up time is reduced and especially noticiable from a roll in first gear. I would suggest this maintenance item to everyone.
Todd

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  10:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todd, did you do it with your 1982 model? How long did it take to take every thing out? Hard job?

Thx, Afshin.

Go To Top Of Page

TCD
Garage Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  11:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did it on the '82. Easy job but budget about 2 to 3 hours to do it.
Todd

Go To Top Of Page

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  11:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was gonna take the down pipe of turbo out anyway. Got to do some welding job on it (745i.com turbo up-grade kit). So it's good to know about that intercooler stuff as well, as I'll be working around there, anyway ....

Thanks Todd.

Go To Top Of Page

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  11:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just been curious guys .... Does the turbo system NEED that oil to fonction, I mean, as a sort of lubricant or what ?!! Otherwise, I would just unhook that return hose from valve cover and routing it to a sort of custom-made air filter and canister to keep all that oil stuff .... So, after cleanning, it's not gonna get dirty again.
Any thoughts ?!!

TIA, Afshin.

Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  12:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to modify my intercooler by running two copper tubes through either the top or bottom (or both) and attaching the suction tubing that goes to the nearby a/c drying canister to the copper tubing. The suction (low pressure) a/c tube remains cold even under the hood and I wonder whether anyone thinks this will reduce the temp of the air charge even more than the intercooler itself.

Has anyone increased the sizing of the intercooler or modified it in any way that they find to be useful and worthwhile? Replaced it with a more efficient one?

Rick

Go To Top Of Page

TCD
Garage Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  12:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure that anyone has established that the factory intercooler is inefficient! I believe its biggest drawback is its location not size. Any change that can deliver more clean air to it will increase its efficiency. That is why I removed my fog light.
Todd

Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2002 :  20:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of removing the fog light to obtain more cooling. I have even thought of putting an electric fan in front of the intercooler to provide greater cooling.

Rick

Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2002 :  02:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has anyone thought of using a water spray. some cars here in australia use them to increaes the efficiency of the intercooler under high load conditions. they use a pressure switch to turn the pump on at a given boost and/or temperature setting, a pump with enough pressure to almost atomize the water coming from an agricultural spray nozzle. you know when you wet your finger and then blow on it, same principle. more n more of the highly tuned street cars are using them.check it out at-www.aquamist.co.uk .....
personally i'm aiming to get a larger intecooler to fit in between the bumper bar irons, with inlet/outlet on sameside so at to keep existing pipe layout.

Edited by - cliffo on Jun 04 2002 02:25:33
Go To Top Of Page

M545i
Master Technician

284 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2002 :  02:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The intercooler is big enough, if you enlarge it you will create even more turbo lag. Best solution is to relocate it or make sure it gets fresh air when driving.
Cleaning the intercooler and tubing is on my agenda too, thanks for remembering.

Water spray seems to be efficient but costs about $600.

Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2002 :  05:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
true,across a larger core will be a greater pressure drop,but hey, with adjustable boost, this is easily rectified

Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.69 secs. Snitz Forums 2000