BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 The "545i " Board
 M106 Implant/Conversion FAQ
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tihuovin
Over 745 Posts!

956 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  01:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition, readers should also review files in the LIBRARY. Here are some links to get you started:
http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/file_library.asp?showmethefile=33
http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/file_library.asp?showmethefile=36

Hi,

So many persons have asked advices how to convert car electronics/wiring harnesses when doing automatic-to-manual conversion or M106 engine swap to another BMW model.

I did some serious studying on the E23 schematics and tried to find some answers. The result of this study can be found from the attached document.

As I have said earlier, there are NO SHORT CUT`S. First one have to do his/hers homeworks, study the wiring harness of his/hers car.
- Study what wires from M106 engine wiring harness needs to be connected to car original wiring harness. I.e. "engine socket", "3 -pole flat connector" and "4 -pole flat connector".
- To find out "counterparts" of the M106 engine wiring harness connectors/wires from the car main wiring harness.
=> Find out what are the "signals" in the original "engine socket" (nearby the fuse box), the compare it to M106 wiring harness.
=> And to find out "counterparts" of the 3 -pole falt connector wires from the car main wiring harness.

I hope this document helps people who are doing/planning to do those modifications. Help them to understand the M106 wiring harness better, in order to find the counterparts fom "main" wiring harness.

Best Regards,
Timo

Document Automatic-to-Manual conversion and_or M106 engine swap to other BMW model.zip 123486 bytes

Kristjan
Master Technician

201 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  02:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Timo![10]

I have original transmission wiring harness, why I have to jump K2 relay ?
I`m kinda week in electronics.....just would like to know, what causing 0,2 boost problem.

Kristjan

BMW 745 `85, 5 speed, almost stock :)

Edited by - Kristjan on Mar 04 2004 02:45:20
Go To Top Of Page

Jens
Team745i

266 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  04:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Jens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friend whats you missing is the proper chip as well as the
proper Motronic, and it aint the stock 745i Motronic.

Jens

Sincerely Jens
Go To Top Of Page

Kristjan
Master Technician

201 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  06:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jens Nice to see you around here.
What do you meen by "proper Motronic, and it aint the stock 745i Motronic"?

At this moment there is no point to install even Team 745 chip because problem is somewhere else - hunt continues, hopefully someone will hunt this problem down

TIA
Kristjan

Edited by - Kristjan on Mar 04 2004 06:16:13
Go To Top Of Page

Jens
Team745i

266 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  13:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Jens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK I will tell you this Karmon when they converted to a manual transi
did not use a 745 motronic, Jon Jacobs and I will have one avalable soon to buy :) How does that sound? :)

Sincerely Jens
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  13:57:10   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tihuovin

So many persons have asked advices how to convert car electronics/wiring harnesses when doing automatic-to-manual conversion or M106 engine swap to another BMW model.

I did some serious studying on the E23 schematics and tried to find some answers. The result of this study can be found from the attached document.

This is such a great post! Wow, this will be a big help to me. Thank you Timo!

Also, don't forget this really great post by Ray:

http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/file_library.asp?showmethefile=33

To everyone,

Based on Timo and Ray's awesome efforts to document the 545i swap, I've made this post "sticky" so it always will appear at the top of the topic list in the 545i board. Let's make this topic be the FAQ for m106 conversions. Please use this topic to post your helpful conversion info or links to other posts that you feel would be valuable to add to this topic. Of course, this is just a self serving manipulation by me because I still need to put the m106 into my e28 and I want you guys to do all the hard work for me! [19][18][5]

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

Kristjan
Master Technician

201 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2004 :  00:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Jon Jacobs and I will have one avalable soon to buy :) How does that sound? :)

It sounds really good, but what price? I affraid that I can not afford this unit, but let`s see the price tag.

But what about all 45er swap guys, who also like manual tranny - there must be something that cuts boost and surely one can fix it.

Anyway, thank You Jens for keeping us updated
Regards,
Kristjan

Go To Top Of Page

RDAvena
Gas-fueled God

338 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2004 :  17:33:05   View RDAvena's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Send RDAvena an AOL message  Reply with Quote
to make things easier with the 745i Motronic harness to e28 Motronic wiring at the fusebox, swap the wire positions one for one with regards to the number position. One of the wires, a thick green one will have to have the connector switched to the smaller barrel instead of the large one. That is it. No shaman rituals or burning your eyeballs tracing schematics.

*EDIT* this is only for the square plug Motronic connection. If you have the round connection like on some of the e24s you are on your own.

Edited by - RDAvena on Mar 05 2004 17:35:15
Go To Top Of Page

lee2158
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2004 :  07:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Timo and RD for your contributions! Excellent work! Timing is great, as I'm assembling the beast now, will be installing in the coming weeks. Thanks again for the excellent work!

lee2158
Go To Top Of Page

tihuovin
Over 745 Posts!

956 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2004 :  08:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh goodie, the effort was needed then. I made the basic study for a friend here in Finland. But then I decided to expand it a little bit, covering all the M106 wiring harness interconnections IN and/or OUT.

Have fun,
Timo
Go To Top Of Page

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2004 :  05:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys what about 745i L-Jet -> Motronic harness ? I'm in the middle of fitting a Motronic engine in my 1982 L-Jet model. Do I have to swap the whole harness thing, I mean including fuse box & co ?

Regards, Afshin.
1982 745i (5-Speed)

Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 2.08 secs. Snitz Forums 2000