BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 The "545i " Board
 M106 Implant/Conversion FAQ
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tihuovin
Over 745 Posts!

956 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  01:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Afshin,

The answer is NO, defenitely NO.

Change the L-jetronic wiring harness to motronic wiring harness, install the knock computer and its wiring harness but do not change anything else. It way too difficult and time consuming task. And the benefits are.... there are hardly any.

In your case, there are only VERY few wires that needs to be "remarried", those in the "engine connector", located nearby the fuse box. The jetronic connector is round and the motronic connector is square.

It makes sense to build that connection as supposed to, so that it can be taken apart if needed. It means that you have to fit a new connector to replace those two (round and square) or you need to buy that other half of the engine connector (just the connector housing), remove the round connector housing and fit those wires to that new connector housing. But if referred to task that you change them all, it's just minor thing to do.

I do not know what signals are in that round L-jetronic connector, I do not have L-jetronic wiring schematics, but mostly they are the same. Even colour to colour.

If somebody has 745 L-jetronic engine wiring schematics (I do have the motronic one), could you please sent it to me. I can add description of it to my instructions.

BR,
Timo
Go To Top Of Page

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  05:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot Timo About different connectors types there's no problem at all as I still got that motronic car laying here (or what left of it!) So I could just take whatever I need out of it I start to search for L-Jet diagramme on web & as soon as I find one I'll send it to you ... I'm quite sure that you can save my mechanic alot of time and hassle and me a heart-attack when I get his bill

Regards, Afshin.
1982 745i (5-Speed)

Edited by - Afshin-Switzerland on Jun 14 2004 13:31:41
Go To Top Of Page

tihuovin
Over 745 Posts!

956 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  05:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't needed one so far (i.e. L-jetronic schematics), so therfore I haven't even seek one.

That is a good plan, first search and then study. As I said, do your homework first. It will save your time and efforts during the conversion.

BR,
Timo
Go To Top Of Page

jimbo
Garage Guru

100 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2004 :  04:29:51  Show Profile  Visit jimbo's Homepage  Click to see jimbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, im from sweden so you have to excuse my bad english.

i have searched this forum to find som info about putting the m102 enginge in my M535 86, the 102 engine has the l-jetronic but in my 535 i have the motronic, are there som "big" difficulties(?) in this swap?

has somebody else done it before who maybe can give me som advices?

www.jk-racing.se
Go To Top Of Page

tihuovin
Over 745 Posts!

956 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  07:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jimbo,

Sorry about the late response. And do not worry about your english, I just understood you fine, without any difficulties. That is something we do not care about in this site.

You can find some of the info you need from the file library. Search the document "BMW 745i, L-Jetronic-to-Motronic conversion". I tried to cover the electrical issues in that document. You just need to do vice versa, adapt that document in your application. Download also the wiring schematics (E23 Wiring Diagrams), it contains also the L-jetronic engine schematics.

BMW 745i, L-Jetronic-to-Motronic conversion
http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/file_library.asp?showmethefile=40&thatcat=43&thiscat=Other+Technical+Information

E23 Wiring Diagrams
http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/file_library.asp?showmethefile=18&thatcat=35&thiscat=Factory+Technical+Manuals

Basically, it shouldn't be that bad. Of course, you will need to install all the L-Jetronic electrical devices related to turbo engine.

Then you need to know the signals (wire by wire, colour by colour, pin to pin) of two connectors: engine socket (i.e. engine connector, nearby the fuse box) and 3 -pin flat connector nearby the engine control unit (Motronic ECU). Via those connectors, the engine is connected to car's main wiring harness. So you need to know exactly what are the signals in those connectors, bith in the engine wiring harness and in the car's main wiring harness, so that you can connect them properly.

But there is one tiny little caveat, the "engine socket" of Motronic is square shaped, while as the L-Jetronic one is round.

The exhaust is an issue too, that is something you need to do yourself. You need the original downpipe (the pipe from turbo charger/wastegate to the first muffler), then you need to design the rest of the exhaust yourself. The original M535 pipe might be too "tight", maybe a bigger diameter pipes are needed.

I hope this helps you further, at least in electrical point of view, just ask more questions while you proceed.

BR,
Timo
Go To Top Of Page

csmith
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  12:24:53  Show Profile  Visit csmith's Homepage  Send csmith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I have read the FAQs, and regarding the M106 transplant, a few things seem to be evident.. Please correct me if these assumptions are wrong:

-You can stick with the original M30 short-block, and the head is OK too, if you install longer studs.

-There are plenty of OEM intercoolers that can be made to work, from a variety of mfgrs.

-The original 745i turbocharger would likely need a rebuild, and again, ther are lots of OEM substitutes available out there, many much more modern designs.

- A BOV is a must. So is a 5spd trans.

- Stock intake seems OK, too.

- The biggest problem with the swap seems to be monkeying with the F.I. system. Going to an aftermarket computer such as Megasquirt would alleviate this problem.

- So basically, the only part absolutely needed from a 745i would be the exhaust manifold, or a reasonable facsimile.

Is that about it? Seems a little silly to drag a whole carcass full of worn-out parts home just for a manifold.

Granted, if you were keeping the stock FI, its a totally different story, but Im not interested in the limitations of the Bosch system - technology has moved on, and you can build a decent, laptop-tunable system for a couple hundred bucks, w/o scrounging for elusive black boxes.

If all that is so, then the real question is: Who's got a 745i manifold FS? :->

Comments, answers, flames welcomed.

-Chris

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  17:11:10   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chris, first off, welcome to the board!!

Your approach could certainly be done. No doubt about it. There are even other sources for manifolds out there. www.turbochargingdynamics.com

The technology that was used on the M106 was exceptionally good at the time, and still produces a very drivable motor with layers of protection circuits and lots of ooomph. That's the pro for sticking with a complete M106 unit transplant, including the electoronics and fuel system.

Now you could eliminate some -- or all -- of that system, although such projects really do test your tuning and setup skills. Just ask any of the folks on this board who sit behind the firewall of non 106-dirivitive power plants. Russ C's machine would be a good example. He is running a Dinan M30 turbo powered machine but he's also one of the few Motronic-turbo gods still left roaming the earth (under boost no doubt!).

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

Matt
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  13:05:34   View Matt's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Im a new member who has bought a complete 745 engine, loom and ECUs to put into my '89 535 E34 Euro spec(as Im from the UK)and any technical help or if anyone has done this transplant with information will be greatly appriciated
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  13:07:30   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Matt! Welcome. Go to this link and check out the sticky topic. Please post your questions.

http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=11

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

mobydick
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  18:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
My name is Lyndon.I'm from Holland.I have a M535IA wich has an sportautomatic transmission.I want to put in a M106 egine and still keep the auto tranny.Do I need to change the harness or can i use the same one from my e28?I'm not a mechanic so i will need every help i can get for this swap.
Thx.
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Prev Page | Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 2.11 secs. Snitz Forums 2000