BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 Readers' Rides & PROJECT BLOGS
 Scottie's 83 645i
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Fast6
Garage Guru

128 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  20:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: This car now belongs to Eric, so I'll let him continue the story of this worthy car's restoration!

Well, I've bought Eliot's 83 Euro 635csi with M106 in hopes to bring it back to life again. In tribute to Eliot and his exploits with "Red With Rockchips", I've decided to move his original "for sale" post to the readers ride section and make it the first post in what I hope will be a good documentation of the restoration of this machine.

Right now I've driven all day to and from Reno towing the car home and I am TIRED!

Many thanks to Eliot for giving me the car for a more than fair price (I've just bought two other 745i so my budget is very thin right now.) Eliot also gave me a lovely hand-made book of photography that documented the many travels he's made in this car! I am honored! Thanks Eliot!

--Scottie

[Eliot's original post]

The day has come and I have decided to sell my car. It was an '83 635 CSi Euro before the conversion with a Motronic 745i motor, running at 10 lbs. of boost. It is a 5-speed with LSD. Actual miles unsure, as cluster was replaced with US cluster during conversion. Car also has Zender side skirts and rear spoiler. Interior is in decent condition. Recaro front seats are in fair condition; rear seats are in great condition. Paint is in fair condition; previous owner paid for a cheap paint job. She has 18Ē wheels with 235/40ZR18 Yokohama AVS db tires. Tires have over 50% tread left. I performed a brake upgrade complete with calipers, rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, stainless lines, Superblue fluid, and a 750 master cylinder. With the shocks, springs, and swaybars, it has great handling suitable for twisty roads or autocrosses. Windows, sunroof, and lights work fine. A/C does not work. Clarion CD player.
A lot of work was done to the car since I bought it. Here is a partial list of what has been done:
Repair/replace-
Head rebuild
Turbo rebuild
Exhaust manifold
Driveshaft
Injectors replaced and blueprinted
Fuel pump
Starter
Clutch master cylinder
Ignition switch
Water pump
Radiator
Countless hoses, bushings, etc.
Windshield
Wheels straightened

Upgrades-
Bilsteins sports/springs installed by previous owner
Dinan swaybars F/R
Front strut brace installed by previous owner
750 front / M5 rear brake upgrade
FMU
Insulation for turbo and intake tract
Boost and air/fuel gauges

I am an enthusiast owner and maintained the car very well with regular fluid changes, etc.
Unfortunately, she is not in good running condition right now. The head gasket blew in April 2003 at Pacific Sharkfest. I had it rebuilt at a shop with an Elring gasket set and rebuilt the turbo with a brand new Mellett cartridge. I also replaced the exhaust manifold with a used one as the original one was cracked. About 2 months after the work was done, the head gasket blew again. After driving the car home, I have moved the car once. The amount of work required to get it running well again is moderate, but I ran out of money and the car broke my spirit, as I thought I finally had her running right. Furthermore, my city towed the car and damaged the right rear quarter panel in the process. Picture of the damage is below. Aside from that, there is no body damage.
I am asking $3500 and would like her to go to someone who will care for her. I just donít have the heart to part her out. This price is based on how new the expensive parts are. Turbo is brand new, entire cooling system is brand new, and brakes are almost brand new.
Bigger pictures are available by email. Car is located in Reno, NV.

Damage done by City of Reno

"Turbo" casting on head

Turbo, wastegate, and exhaust manifold

FMU with custom mounting location and hardware

VIN

Check control and console in German

Please contact me by email. Phone # by request.

'83 645
Red w/ rockchips...

marc79euro635
Garage Guru

179 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  20:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't sell it, you'll regret it later. sounds like your close to having it sorted.I know your pain,been there.
good luck
marc

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  09:45:08   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK comrades! I've bought Eliot's car and it is in my shop. The first step in restoring this car is going to be getting it registered in the facist state of Kalifornia. I'm sending my title in today. It is a clean and clear Nevada title. Ron P (who is the ONLY person I know who has successfully registered a euro BMW in CA - a georgeous euro M5) gave me the lowdown of what is probably going to happen.

Here's what he says:

quote:
The DMV is going to ask you to get a smog cert. If the car does not have a BAR sticker, this will cause quite a problem. You can go to the referee's station and show them all of the DOT and EPA releases and they may issue you a BAR sticker on the spot. If they direct you to the lab, then you are in for a hassle. If i were you, I would make sure the cat is good (new), all of the vacuum hoses are on, change the oil and plugs, and run about 25% alchohol, methanol, or aviation fuel, just in case they will allow a test on the spot. This should take care of any problems that may arise. BE PREPARED!!! You may just have the one shot at doing this. If you have further questions, let me know, or you can call me at xxxxx until 8:00 p.m., or after 9:00 a.m. in the morning.
HTHs
RP

Getting the car to pass smog chemically will not be a problem. I am quite sure I can adjust it to pass without running alcohol or tolulene through it. The visual is another story. The car has the M106 motor in it. Maybe they won't notice. I have a johnson box to put in the car and I will througoughly clean up the engine compartment and the rest of the car so that all of the wires and hoses look "factory" and the the entire car looks neat, tight and well maintained.

I am sending the title in on Monday, so it will probably be several weeks before I hear back from DMV. That will give me time to sort out the car.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

More pics of the car will be posted this weekend.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2004 :  02:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
picture this- scottie sits dejected in his chair, head in hands, after the fascist smog control people in kalifornia disallow his red 6er to pass smog tests. he sighs, and says "what am i going to do?" and then, as we watch, a slow smile spreads over his face and he shouts out aloud----"you can all get stuffed, because i am going to send this car to CLIFFO in australia, because i know that he will love it, and cherish it and pamper it, and if i want to see the car, its only half a world away, and theres plenty of fresh air in australia, and as yet, no smog nazis". do it scottie, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2004 :  18:48:46   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love you Cliffo, but let's not jump the gun here!

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2004 :  06:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at worst, thats a no, at best, a definite maybe! good luck with the car scottie, she's a beauty[10]
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2004 :  19:37:49   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok... I have the car running. With no disrespect meant to Eliot, there were lots of vacuum hoses connected improperly and the engine room needed a "going over". Also the intake hoses were loose. Once I sorted that stuff out the car started up instantly. After fiddling a bit, and subsequently riched up the mixture by about 5 AFM clicks, the engine ran pretty damn well up to about 14 lbs. (spring-only boost control!) I drove it like that for a few days last week. The car still has a 011 Euro 3.4l ECU so it is not the optimum setup. I was running well into the rich zone, to be safe, as indicated by an 02 sensor. The car has a Cartech FPR.

Although Eliot told me that he thought the head gasket was blown, I really was thinking that the motor was healthy mechanically. The car was running hotter than I normally expect for a M106 (around 11 o'clock -- but I attributed that to a thin 635i radiator). However after a few days of driving around town and so forth, I realized that I was actually loosing water quite rapidly.

Now I suspect that Eliot was correct...there seems to be a head gasket failure into a coolant passage.

In the coming weekends, I'm going to tear down the motor and have a look. I'll take some pics. and post next week.

I have decided to sell the wheels. Although they are gorgeous and in great condition, I don't particularly care for them, and I could use the funds to fix up the car. So they are on consignment at Double 02 in Hayward, CA.

I have some old chrome 15" basketweaves on there now.

Just as a note ... the 750i front calipers bearly fit inside 15" wheels. The brakes Eliot put on this car are huge! 750i up front and e34M5 in the rear powered by a 750i master cyl. HOwever the ABS doesn't seem to be working. I can lockup all four wheels on dry asphalt. Yee haw!

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2004 :  23:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
scottie, you need to fit a radiator shroud to the 6er radiator to optimise the fan's pull of fresh air through the radiator. i had the same problem with mine, and noticed an improvement in standing idle temperatures immediately. another thing i did, was to install a bypass switch for the aircon fan, so that when sitting at lights, i can turn it on to almost double the amount of air coming thru the radiator. cheers, clifton in melbourne.
Go To Top Of Page

tihuovin
Over 745 Posts!

956 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  01:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most obvious reason for ABS not to work is probably corroded rear wheel drive flange (the part the output shaft is attached). The "teeth" for the ABS sensor has been corroded. The other reason is broken ABS sensor.

Check first the "teeth" of the flange. The example picture is from E23 ans shows how the Finnish roads will do to them (salt and water/snow).

The ABS sensors can be measured using multimeter. The resistance should be about the same in both rear sensors as well as the same in both front sensors. It can also be measured by measuring the AC voltage between the sensor pins. The wheel lifterd up, then rotated, the AC voltage should be about 1V between the pins. But easiest way is to measure the resistance. Either from the sensor pins of from the ABS connector.

BR,
Timo

Edited by - tihuovin on Oct 11 2004 01:48:13
Go To Top Of Page

E23 Norway
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  13:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it the 302 mm 1 pot caliper, or the 324 mm 4 pot 750i brakes you have in the front?
Go To Top Of Page

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  02:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the disc's diameter but E23 has also "4 pot" calipers in front as standard [10]

Regards, Afshin.
1982 745i (5-Speed)

Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.97 secs. Snitz Forums 2000