BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 Dyno Day...Nice fun in the Sun..
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

RussC
Grease Monkey

66 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  11:17:13  Show Profile  Visit RussC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was a really great time at the dyno gig yesterday. Us BMW guys got there ealier than the most of the TDI guys, I guess. So we ran our cars in the morning then broke for lunch. Had some good barbeque.

Was a little confused and impressed with JoeE's 745i. It made 400lb-ft at the wheels @ 3k rpm; 250 whp @ 3.3k rpm! I guess Joe has mods to the head and runs 10-12psi. He can fill us in some more. That # seems almost too good to be true. But, thats what it was. Joe, I sent you all the pics I took to your work address.

My car was a little anemic. I wan't planning on running it, but the turn out to that point in the morning was shy of VW TDI's? Anyway, the day was real hot: 90F, and my car is tuned for the street, so in 3 runs I was not able to get the Apexi SAFC tuned properly. First 2 runs were very lean, and we pulled up short. So then I cranked the SAFC, and it went too rich on the 3rd run. But with 3 runs in 10 minutes with total heat soak(their fan is way too small) it still made 325lb-ft and 285 hp, all at the wheels. With proper technique and some cool down, and more runs I could have made my more normal 310-320whp and 350-375 wlb-ft. Again, my car is tuned for the street, and with the much eleavated dyno temps on the coolant and IAT, my car was way too lean. These DME's don't run closed loop and dont have an "engine savior mode", so saftey is more of a concern on the dyno undet these conditions.

I didn't get to see what the ///M7 made, I had to leave. I'd really like to find out? This is a E23 with an S38 conversion. I took many pics of it. a real sleeper, in it's current condition. I believe the gent witht he car is a Fist Fives digest'r, as he had one of their shirts on. Hope to hear from you.

I'll try to get some pics on my site later in the week, right now I'm off to Calistogo for some mud, sun and fun.

RussC

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  12:04:05   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You must be talking about Eric's car. That's a sweet ride. He is '733plus' on this forum and I think he has posted previous dyno results on this board.

Joey has a nice motor. 400 lbs of torque. Yee haw! So that explains why I keep having to buy tires every six months.

As far as mods, the head was polished by the master, Bruce Cumming. I believe he's running a Team 745i chip, adjustable boost wastegate, and a Cartech regulator.

Wish I could have dropped by but I've been tied up lately. Sounds like you guys had lot of fun.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

RussC
Grease Monkey

66 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  12:36:37  Show Profile  Visit RussC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whos Bruce Cumming? I want to speak to him?

TIA
RussC
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  12:38:08   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=7

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

733plus
Master Technician

209 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  19:02:55   View 733plus's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the hell kind of magic dust did Bruce sprinkle on Joe's car??? When I first saw Joe's numbers, I thought something was wrong. 250 hp and 411 lbs ft of torque??? Just for good measure, he did another run (which was not as clean) and did 240+ and 396 lbs ft. Those are almost turboDIESEL numbers. But I knew they were real when I put my car up there and I ran 233 hp and 220 lbs ft. Absolutely incredible.

I guess that proves the BMW factory knew what they were doing with these turbos...
Go To Top Of Page

srfsteve
Gas-fueled God

653 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  19:50:52  Show Profile  Send srfsteve a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So, Does anyone know is Joe's car an automatic or manual ? How long has he been running at 400 lbs ft ?
Go To Top Of Page

dnliii
Over 745 Posts!

1405 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  20:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The funny part is that Joeee did that with only 10 psi. His car is good to 15 psi.[almost 500 lb-ft][--]
Go To Top Of Page

DERTEUFEL
Grease Monkey

92 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  21:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's more torque than a 500 cid Cadillac engine!! WOW!!

83 L Jet 745i Articblau/blue leather 16" Ronal R9s,rear shade
On the list: Headlight wipe/wash,Fire bottle,Burlwood,power rear seats,L7 leather parts,FIVE SPEED!
Other rides:
86 560SEL
82 500SEL Euro
88 300TE
85 300SD
69 Chevy Impala
84 Buick Electra
"Use Overdrive for High Speed Pursuit"
Go To Top Of Page

turbo535im
Over 745 Posts!

832 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  03:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone explain what makes his spread between torgue and horsepower so much larger in comparison to other guys figures. Is it at all affected by rubber compound? I thought torque was a product of motor desigh bore stroke etc. A automatic transmissions torque converter could be responsible it has the ability to multiply the torque. Is it an 5 speed?

Edited by - turbo535im on Jul 19 2004 03:35:33
Go To Top Of Page

turbo535im
Over 745 Posts!

832 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  04:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually if you do the math his figures are very close to theoretical. Hp=(torque lb ft xrpm /5,252
That would be around 228hp.

Edited by - turbo535im on Jul 19 2004 20:16:24
Go To Top Of Page

joee
Master Technician

226 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  16:20:10   View joee's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit joee's Homepage  Send joee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK, OK, Sorry for the delay.
I had to jump through some hoops to get the info scanned.

Car Info:

1986 745i with 200k + mi.
Auto Trans 4HP22EH. Tranny is starting to slip.
Rebuilt head at 190k mi. (Port & Polish by Bruce C.)
Stock injectors. (cleaned and balanced at head rebuild)
Stock exhaust (no Cat.)
Stock rear diff. or so I thought. I will try to get the numbers off my diff.

Modifications:
Daws Device with stock wastegate set to 10psi. (12psi at each shift)
NO fuel mods yet, No Cartech RRFPR yet.
Boost gauge
Air/Fuel gauge

First Dyno Run This was a 3rd gear Dyno run.

Current Smog Test

To see the photos you will need to put the @ symbol in place of _A_ in the path below.

htpp://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ilayout_AT_pacbell.net/

Bookends
Link to my photo gallery

Edited by - joee on Jul 21 2004 10:51:28
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 1.02 secs. Snitz Forums 2000