BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 No Start (May Stump U All) Help!
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

BIGANT
Gas-fueled God

341 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  19:16:59  Show Profile  Send BIGANT an AOL message  Send BIGANT a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Im working with Jens and Demet!!! These guys are great. Demet thanks for stopping by.

1984 745i: No Start
I HAVE BOTH SPARK & FUEL WHEN CRANKING!

New Fuel and Main Relay
New plugs
Cap
rotor
wires
reference sensors (2)
new temp sensor (on the thermostat housing)
Tried Demet's ECU and AFM, no good? (My AFM and ECU work in his car)
Demet and I checked the Pins on the flywheel. Good to go

Im stuck, fuel pressure is good! I have strong spark at each plug?
what could it be. Jens thinks he has it down to 2 things.

1) Valve adjustment (which I dont know how to do)?
2) Knock control Unit

Anyone else have any ideas? This one is weird.

Thanks

'84 745i with 17" Racing Dynamics wheels
'88 735i with 18" M Parallel

Edited by - BIGANT on Jun 16 2005 19:18:24

bilodeaulynn
Gas-fueled God

355 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  20:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have vacuum at the knock control unit?

Have you checked to see of spark is making it to the plugs? (Just wondering if you checked it at the coil or distributor, but not at the plug end of the wires).

Pulled the plugs to see if it is severely flooded?

Checked to see if timing chain is worn and jumped a tooth or two?

Lynn
Go To Top Of Page

733plus
Master Technician

209 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  21:53:17   View 733plus's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it crank but not turn over or does it not crank at all?

If it doesn't crank at all it could be the OBC Computer box located above the driver's side speaker. I believe there is a relay in there which controls the theft deterrent and it can go bad. That's what happened with my E23. Swap it from a car which has a working computer and see if that works. You can find good used ones in the junkyard for about $30, you can usually find one which is in good shape because it is in a covered area.

Edited by - 733plus on Jun 16 2005 21:54:56
Go To Top Of Page

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  04:07:47   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume that by good spark you can remove and test each plug (other 5 in engine) and observe a blue arc from plug to chassis ground at a distance of at least 1/2 in. at a rate matching crank shaft rotation.
Go To Top Of Page

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  04:12:17   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
immediately after cranking to start have you pulled a plug and is it wet or dry?
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  10:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd bet it is as 733plus is thinking. Recently, my car would not start though I had spark. Fortunately, I have a digital fuel pressure gauge in the console so I could tell that with only 14 psi of pressure, either my fuel pump was out or a fuse. After confirming the fuse was okay, I feared the pump was bad, but looked first at the connections on the OBC box. I had inadvertently kicked it out as I exited the car (the kick panel had been removed for rewiring some things). Took 5 minutes to find the problem. If it is still connected in your car, then you might suspect it needs repair/replacement. On the other hand, if you have fuel pressure (check while cranking or after cranking), then it is probably something else since apparently, that OBC unit cuts power to the fuel pump.

Rick
Go To Top Of Page

Bruce Cumming
Garage Guru

166 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  11:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You ask for help and you don't answer any posts you get? Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame on you. If you have fuel and spark there are only two things left! Your timing chain has skipped.( test this by compression test and cranking vaccume test, must have vaccume, enough to open the air box door! If you get both and the vaccume drops off, you have a totally plugged exaust.(remeber the potateo in the exaust trick.Also you did say you had fuel,do you mean in the rail and have you verified the injectors are pulsing. Are the plugs getting wet with to much fuel. You are shy on reporting the facts of your testing, and by the way there is no car, no starting problem that can stump this sight, you have no idea of the tech knowledge that is supplied here. I would personally bet you $10,000 that I could get the car running. Your just over looking something. To make an engine run you need spark, fuel, compression, vaccume, airflow with proper timing from a camshaft, and unrestricted flow in the intake and exaust system. Had one the guy left a bunch of rags stuffed in the intake when He did a manifold change. We don,t have x-ray vission or the ability to hear and see what is going on, we solely depend on the information you provide us. Lack of information or incorrect information and a no answer of questions we asked is the only limitation of our knowledge, So shit or get off the pot. Hi Jens and Demet, having fun? Give me a call if you need anything, I'm always here for you, your are both pretty sharp and both friends of mine. Jens, when are you going to send me that brochure back? Take care all, Brew C
Go To Top Of Page

Bruce Cumming
Garage Guru

166 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  11:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a good sense of humor [--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--]so don't take my words harshly[1][1][1][1][1][1][1][1] but, you must know I will always stand behind my fellow 745i companions with heart and sole, we are a family. Peace Brew C [--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][--][1][1][1][1][1][10][9]................?
Go To Top Of Page

Bruce Cumming
Garage Guru

166 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  11:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One last thing, Jens and Demet are a lot better than great!, there champions! Brew C
Go To Top Of Page

Al
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  20:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you done a compression test?????
Go To Top Of Page

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  11:21:28   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a dumb question but someone has to ask so we can be sure......you have the spark plug wires connected to the correct terminals on the distributor?
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.95 secs. Snitz Forums 2000