BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 Allaround upgrade of 745 -85?
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Carpimp
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  03:07:35  Show Profile  Send Carpimp an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hello.

I have resently bought my first 745i -85.
The plan is to build a fast E23.
Im aiming around 500hp an up to 700Nm of torque. [6]
But i live in sweden, and there is no one here that builds anything whith the E23, everybody takes the engine and use it in an E28 or E34. So when i asked about upgrade bushings and better shocks i got no answer. So please help me!
I have loweringsprings (cobra) for it now, but im not shure about the shocks.
And all bushings on the car is worn, so i will have to change them anyway. And with 700Nm i need stronger ones.

And i want a manual gearbox in it. But witch one should fit in the car?
And the car lacks a LSD.
Is there any rear axle that fits the standard mountings?

MVH Morgan.

PS Sorry of all the spelling errors. DS

BMW Turbo, the best a man can get...

Jon 86 745 MS
Over 745 Posts!

1423 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  16:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only rear diffs with 8 bolt axels will fit the car. THese are the ones with 210 mm rig gear sets.

Jon Jacobs
85 Korman 745i (AKA Das Borg) R.I.P.
86 745i (Die Rakete)(no mas :(
1.2 bar + Boost with
Team WWW.745i.com Performance Parts
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  20:04:34   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'd start by getting all new suspention parts for the car. E28 Bilstein sport shocks for the rear, and e23 Bilstein sport shocks for the front.

You'd be wise to refresh the braking system components, install new stainless brake lines and flush the system.

Next, I'd install a late Getrag 260 or 265 transmission. The one with the removable bell housing and big cooling fins on the bottom is the best.

By then, you'll have a good handling, good stopping car. Take pictures and post them along the way and let us know how you are doing!!

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

Carpimp
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  01:59:51  Show Profile  Send Carpimp an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers.

Then i will order Bilstein sport shocks for it. And brakes i have been thinking about buying drilled racing discs for M5 E34. And use 4 piston calipers from Brembo. And steel braided brake hoses and OMP dot 5 racing brakefluid.

The 260 gearbox, isnt that standard in M535i E28?

For the enginge i will probably buy a Haltech E6X.
Then i will have to reduse weight, starting with removing the electrical seats and put in 4 racing seats in it.
There is a long way to go. But soon the winter is here, and then i will spend all the free time in the garage.

Morgan.

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  08:32:05   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if the e34 M5 brakes will fit. There are no cross references on the brakes in so far as I know. Let us know if you experiment and find something out!

The 260 is standard on most 86-88 six cyl five series.

Yes, reduce your weight and swap out your differential for one from a M6 or M5. Both were 3.91 ratio.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  12:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are great recommendations from Scottie and Jon. As for the Brembo, I have found Brembo disks, but not Brembo calipers. If you go with a larger rim, then you may have more options and that is something I am looking into. I now have 18" rims and they sure make the disks and rotors (front and rear) look puny. I have always felt that with the ability to increase performance that we have in these cars, the weakest link is in the brakes.

Jon, you are the first (and I have asked many experts(?)) to know about the 210 mm ring gear. Would you have any idea who the manufacturer might be and how I might go about getting a different gear ratio other than changing the entire diff to the smaller unit? BMW does not any longer offer separate ring and pinion gears but someone must offer them.

Rick
Go To Top Of Page

Carpimp
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  13:48:50  Show Profile  Send Carpimp an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
The brakedisks should fit without to many curses. The calipers are made for a 304mm brakedisk, but the M5 has 315mm i have heard. And with 18" rims it should not present a problem. Of course i will have to build new mountings for the caliper. But that is no problem.
I will probably start taking pictures this weekend, so i will post my progress here as soon as anything happens.
I have been thinking about gearboxes, how much work would it be to put in a 6 speed gearbox from E34?

Morgan.

Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  14:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morgan,

Glad you are undertaking the task of building new mounts for the calipers. It seemed to me to be too daunting of a task. I think the disks on the e23 are no larger than 275-280mm (way too small).

Rick

Edited by - ra0507 on Jul 26 2005 14:48:58
Go To Top Of Page

Jon 86 745 MS
Over 745 Posts!

1423 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  20:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, Koala Motor Sports has them. I however do not know the current ptice. I think last time I checked they where around $500.00 US.

Morgan, I talked via email several times to a Guy named Phillip in the UK that had put a 6 speed in a e30 with a 745 engine. DO not know what car the gearbox was from. Have not heard from him in some time ( at least 2 years) but I am sure he is out there somewhere.

Jon Jacobs
85 Korman 745i (AKA Das Borg) R.I.P.
86 745i (Die Rakete)(no mas :(
1.2 bar + Boost with
Team WWW.745i.com Performance Parts
Go To Top Of Page

Carpimp
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  01:19:28  Show Profile  Send Carpimp an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
6 speed gearbox would be really cool to have. I will have to ask my friend who has a BMW workshop if he knows if it fits. Otherwise i could cut the bellhousing and weld it so it fits the car. Nothing is impossible. =D

The intake manifold cant really have that good flow either. Rebuild an M5 e34 intake should be better, that would fit alot better with a big intercooler in the front. Cause then the preassurepipe will come up in the left side of the engine compartment.

I have been meassuring intercoolers, and i think that a intercooler from a Scania truck would fit perfectly if i split it in two. There about 800mm wide and 800mm high and 80mm thick. Split that in two and ill have a perfekt intercooler. The best thing with that is that there is a truck scrapyard about 30meters from my garage. And they charge about 110 us dollars for an intercooler.

Morgan.

Go To Top Of Page

dnielsen
Master Technician

214 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  13:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely keep us posted on the E34 intake.
I too thought that would be a slick way to solve the
routing option.
Never pursued it, but would love to know if its an option
for the future.

Dave[5][4]

Dave, making power at -5
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.73 secs. Snitz Forums 2000