BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 Regional Clubs
 D.C./Baltimore/Philly/NYC Club
 Experienced e23 Audio Expert (Tri-State Area)????
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vincit1
Garage Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  08:53:31   View vincit1's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Send vincit1 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi I was wondering if any of my fellow tri-staters have anyone to recommend for a quality sound system upgrade. Somone who is experienced in the e23, especially those who understand their uniqness and will preserve my "new" rides original aesthetics whilst getting some serious fidelity into her. I am not in need an ultra expensive competition level system, but want something and someone better than the average big-chain retailers.[19]

One half of the world has no idea how the other half lives.

Edited by - vincit1 on Dec 16 2005 08:56:22

Keith 85 H7s
Garage Guru

180 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  08:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which Tri-State area? We got fitty states and probably bunches of tri-state areas. We talking Cincinnati area with KY, IN and OH available. " One half of the world has no idea how the other half lives."

Well on to discussing the stereo. Run all new wires and replace everything without cutting any old wiring, just unplug it.

For a nice system in these cars, use a set of plate speakers on the rear panel like the premium speakers from 86-on. For the front, two-way separates work well with the tweeter on the mirror mount cover and the woofer in the kick panel. Head unit of choice, some offer everything and adjustable color to match the stock dash lighiting check Clarion, I think. I have old dual illumination Alpine that matches the dash lights. We have no idea how the other half lives, so don't know what you have in the car now. I did not see a car mentioned, so I am assuming you have the stock (4) 4x6s and a cassette-ratio in the dash with an electric antenna, and we don't know how good you want it. So since I have the listed upgrade in a car and have gone further, the next steps are to add an amp or a subwoofer/amp to the system depending on whether you what louder or stronger sound. One 85 bimmer has just an amp added and the other has has two amps and a pair of subs. the subs are in a box in the trunk using some of the space in front of the trunk opening. That system, a/d/s 300i plates, a/d/s 320i separates, Alpine HU, a/d/s PQ10 x 2 amps running 4x40 and 2x80 and a pair of 10" woofers is an old audiophile system that is period correct for the car and sounds great. So decide what you want and look at what fits. Maybe crutchfield will help you here. You can get good stuff at the stores, just avoid the flashy display units. Pay for sound not lights.
Go To Top Of Page

vincit1
Garage Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  14:36:40   View vincit1's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Send vincit1 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I posted in the D.C./Balt/Philly/NYC Club, but I should have been more precise. I am in NYC so looking for NY/NJ/CT, as far as the car you were dead on. I have a 1986 745i Higline with the stock system. Anyone else have ideas?

One half of the world has no idea how the other half lives.
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2005 :  16:55:51   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The main problem is keeping it stock looking. Would be nice to mount speaks in the doors, but I don't want to damage the leather. I don't like speakers in the rear. I've seen trick fiberglas mounts that replace the front speaker panels, so you can mount decent sized units in there and still have your hood release and glovebox work. The problem is, there isn't much air back there, so the speaks don't sound great.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

Keith 85 H7s
Garage Guru

180 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  07:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the junk yard I found a pair of 3/4" wooden plates that were mounted in place of the kick panels. I don't know if this allowed full use of the hood relaease and the glove box, but it allowed mounting of a 5-6 inch speaker. The tweeter was there too.

My E28 which has the better system, has the tweeters up front mounted to the mirror mount covers. These parts are available used or new so you do not need to destroy your original ones (if you ever want to return the car to stock), then you can mount the woofers in the kick panel with or without a wooden plate. the crossover for these is in the blove box. I have 5.5" speakers in the front and they do interfere a bit with the hood opening and only allow the glove box to open half way (this is enough to easily use the glove box) so I am willing to make that sacrifice for the music.

Being in the tri-state area, there are scads of competent car audio install places that will make your car sound great and look near original (albiet updated to the premium-style with plate rear speakers.) To get the sound, you gotta have subwoofers, period. There are many ways to do this so talk to the shop and see what they offer. I'd suggest asking around and finding two speciality shops in your area and talking to both to get ideas for you and ideas about how good the shop is.
Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 2.11 secs. Snitz Forums 2000