BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 Marketplace
 Miller Performance
 745i MILLER Performance Wastgate Upgrade
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  12:05:04   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://scottiesharpe.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=WG&from=11

MILLER Performance Wastegate Kit for 745i.
Bolts on like factory, no mods needed!
For more Info, Please go to: http://www.scottiesharpe.com/store
also look here for more info:http://www.millerperformancecars.com/wastegate.html

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Email: dan@millerperformancecars.com

Edited by - 345is on Aug 05 2006 23:01:19

Robert Milligan
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  12:23:08  Show Profile  Visit Robert Milligan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you provide some text or a web link for the novices that describes other steps and costs involved with installing this device, as well as a brief decription of the anticipated performance benefits? For example, do I need to buy a boost gauge (do you recommend or sell any?), a switch (or valve lever) for inside the cabin, etc. Anything more than specs would be helpful. Thanks.
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  16:56:22   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First off, you must have a boost guage to do any tinkering on these cars. I recommend the VDO vacuum/boost guage. It performs just as well as the Autometer unit but it looks more "german".

The wastegate is installed in place of the factory wastegate. It's held in place with the factory 12-point 10mm nuts on studs going into the manifold elbow. There are four nuts. Soak the nuts in PB Blaster prior to loosening.

There are two primary reasons for purchasing this wastegate:

1. Perhaps your factory wastegate has failed. Wastegates either stick (open or closed) or the diaphram tears. In either case, you are stuck because repair is nearly impossible. Factory wastegates are upwards of $700 new. Used ones in good condition are very difficult to find.

2. You want to install or use a dual chamber wastegate controller. The Miller wastegate has two nipples and two chambers: one on top of the diaphram and one on bottom. The one of bottom is normally used to open the valve when boost pressure is applied to the chamber. You would connect the stock magnetic valve hose to this nipple.

The nipple on top is used to adjust the boost level by adding a "certain quantity" of boost to the upper chamber. This atmosphere presses against the lower chamber and works against the pressure in the lower chamber. More pressure in the upper chamber causes the wastegate to open at a higher boost level. As you mentioned, you can adjust the boost level in the upper chamber by using a bleed valve (inside or outside the cabin) to adjust how much boost gets into the upper chamber. This is a good way to control boost, but it has its drawbacks. For example, it is very dependent on the weather. Other ways to adjust boost include using electronic sensors, like the one on the Miller MAS kit.

The Miller wastegate also features an easily adjustable spring. Although the wastegates come adjusted in the "ballpark" for general use, you can loosen the locknut and then screw up or down the allen head bolt to reduce or increase the spring pressure. The spring pressure provides a static resistance for the wastegate valve. Adjusting it primarily affects how fast the boost comes on. Tighter and it will keep the wastegate closed longer causing boost to rise quickly. Too tight and it will not open when the lower chamber fills with high pressure air.

The benefit of the Miller wastegate is that it is cheaper than a factory replacement, has the upper and lower nipples (can be used with factory Motronic setup, "Team 745i" boost controller, aftermarket boost controllers, or Miller Performance MAS kit. It's very well made, uses a much larger diaphram (for better response to pressure changes), and is servicable and rebuildable.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

Velocewest
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  12:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,
Are you using TiAL guts for this conversion?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony
Go To Top Of Page

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  15:18:01   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Diaphram is, yes. Everything else is in house.

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  11:09:31  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Since the Motronic will limit boost to about 10psi, what's the best way to start with a bit more power 2-3psi?

Wastegate with gauges? Just a simple inline boost device?

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  14:43:27   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you cant really do anything with out the chip to get rid of the boost limit, but after you have the chip then you can add some boost. gauges and wastegate. My waste gate comes with manual boost controller.

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  15:37:13  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Basically I need the wastegage, chip, manual BC, and gauges to get anywhere?

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  10:41:18   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes you will need all that, the gauges you want to pick carfully, boost is not a big deal any boost gauge will work fine, VDO or Auto Meter. but for an AFR gauge, if you dont want to spend alot of money you may want to get a Halman AFR gauge.

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  14:09:22  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go with a wideband on the O2, seems smarter than an EGT gauge. Running a narrow band one or three wire isn't that accurate hence my decision for the WB.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  15:35:32   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats a good Idea.

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 3.62 secs. Snitz Forums 2000