BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 New members welcome!
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Jon 86 745 MS
Over 745 Posts!

1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  13:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start the archives for post on this subject. There are lots out there. Once you have read up on things then ask questions for more defined answers.

Jon Jacobs
85 Korman 745i (AKA Das Borg) R.I.P.
86 745i (Die Rakete)(no mas :(
1.2 bar + Boost with
Team WWW.745i.com Performance Parts
Go To Top Of Page

johnnyfreakingturbo
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2003 :  09:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey all. I'm new here, I came around looking for information on a 745i 5-speed I'm picking up in a week or two.

An interesting tidbit: this car of mine has apparently not been converted from an automatic, but the records shown to me indicate that is has had a manual transmission at least since it was imported from Germany in 1983. I have read that all 745is originally came with automatics, so I am not sure what to think.

In any case I'm glad to have found a resource for this odd car of mine -- odd for the fact that it's a BMW with a turbo! I have driven and repaired my own Saab turbos for several years now, so I am not too intimidated bu this car. I just need more info!
Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2003 :  03:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
johnny(?, sorry i cant see from your profile if i have your name right), i have an old bmw magazine floating around somewhere that stated that only a dozen or so 745's left the factory with a manual shifter, so if it is one of those, congratulations. the article spoke of a guy, chris long, in england with a gold coloured 745i, and went on to mention the 12 or so manuals. i must try and find it to confirm my post. welcome aboard. ask away, the guys here will know how to help.[10]
Go To Top Of Page

pette
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2003 :  03:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!
Have bought my self a 3.5 86 turbo charged engine!!!!
I`ve been looking for it as long as i own my 733 81 (5 years!)!
I`m happy to find you men/female! I will in the future run in to trouble. I do hope i might get some help !
By the way ! very nice site!
Best regards Pette
Go To Top Of Page

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2003 :  05:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Pette ! I'm sure you're going to have ALOT of fun sharing your E23 (and especially 45er) experiences here with us [--] A friend of mine in germany is almost done with converting his 732i into 745i, by dropping that turbo engine in. So it's a kind of easy & straight ahead job. By any questions, just fire away we're here .

Regards, Afshin.
1982 745i (5-Speed)

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2003 :  10:18:22   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you and welcome Pette. It is very rare that we have any females on the board, let alone one that is thinking of transplanting some engines! Guys behave yourselves. Welcome.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

Afshin-Switzerland
Over 745 Posts!

1847 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2003 :  11:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh .... female Funny that I haven't noticed (engine swap & co ... ) But again welcome aboard [4] .

Regards, Afshin.
1982 745i (5-Speed)

Go To Top Of Page

Tranceshark
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2004 :  07:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Tranceshark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome. I just got me a 1983 745i. My other cars are a Ž96 E38 VM7 Prototype (For sale) and a 1994 E31 850CSi. Greetings from Germany, Marc aka Tranceshark
Go To Top Of Page

tihuovin
Over 745 Posts!

956 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2004 :  07:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Duncan,

YouŽll need (at least) a wastegate modification and a new chip to your Motronic ECU (needs to be reprogrammed) (600US$-700 US$ (?)). With those, you can have the HP you specified. The boost gauge is a must. Even if you use original set up (no modifications), the boost gauge is HIGHLY recommended. With those, you can quite a reliably tune the boost. Variable rate fuel requlator might be a good idea too (always enough fuel), AFM meter, .... .

The cheapest way, hmmm... . That will costs you about 2-3$ + modified chip (I have few) + boost gauge. First of all, install the boost gauge first, that really is a MUST, do NOTHING without it. Then you need to install the modified chip. After that, you can try this:
- Buy some thin hose, diameter should be the same than the hose from magnetic valve to wastegate (see the Turbo Layout A from main page (http://745i.scottiesharpe.com/))
- Buy a T- shaped hose connector (same kind which are used with windshield washing fluid hoses)
- Take the original hose out (from magnetic valve to wastegate), make a new hose as long as the original. (So that you have two hoses, both same lenght)
- Cut the hose to half, not in the middle but so that you have 1/3 piece and 2/3 piece
- Put the T -shaped connector between the short and long hose, so that the air will flow straight, without corners.
- Then make a new, about 16 inch long hose and put that to the free slot of the T -connector
- Install this new "hose", so that other end of the "1/3 hose" is connected to wastegate and the "2/3 hose" is connected to magnetic valve
- The "free" hose is not connected anywhere, do not plug it either.

Now you can test the "system", start the engine and take it into a drive and accelerate, but keep your eyes to boost gauge.
- If the boost exceed 0.7 bar => make the "free hose" longer => lowers the boost
- If the boost does not exceed, for example 0.5 bar, shorten the "free hose" a bit, short piece per time, until about 0.7 bar is reached
- By this way, under same weather conditions (temperature, humidity, air pressure), the boost is more or less accurate
- ATTN 1! Try this by your own risk
- ATTN 2! Do not try to to achieve maximum boost (1.0 bar or more), play only with safe margin, 0.6-0.7 bar
- ATTN 3! After few tests, and when you know how it feel to have more boost, return the setup to original and order modified wastegate + other stuff. Only with those you can safely control the boost so that you do not blow the engine

Timo

Go To Top Of Page

Miha_545
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2004 :  17:28:44   View Miha_545's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Send Miha_545 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone! Finally I found this site. That,s great!
I live in small country named Belarus (it's in the center of Europe, just between Russia and Poland). My english not so good but, I hope, we'll understand each other.
I have BMW E34. Almost two years I was seeking 745 turbo, and finally I did. Now I'm trying to install in my car M102.
Best regards.

BMW forever!
-------------------------
BMW E34 528 ix
BMW E34 545 i (under construction)
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Prev Page | Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 4.42 secs. Snitz Forums 2000