BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 Miller Performance MAF Conversion Install
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

PsRumors
Garage Guru

165 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  15:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Reason: Under full boost, actually starting about 5 pounds, I was going extremely rich. Beyond the parameters of the AME wideband which is 10:1. I adjusted the Cartech RRFPR numerous times to no avail.

Not only was this not producing power levels the 15 lbs should I was afraid I was washing the cylinders away. Though I do not have any significant amounts of fuel in the oil I was smoking pretty well out the tail pipe. Knowing how things work I knew I could make more power with less fuel and the engine would actually perform better.

So when I was offered a MAF conversion by Dan @ Miller Performance I jumped at the chance.

The Install: Took about 2 1/2 hours. Of course the next one I could do in half the time. Directions were adequate, they got the job done. There would be a couple things I would ad but nothing that delayed the process. The hardest part was cutting the air filter housing.

I have a good whole wiring harness in the car so I was a little nervous with the cutting that had to take place but in the end I was sure it would be worth the change. There are about 5 conections that need to be made at the ECU. The plug at the AFM also has to be changed out for a MAF plug. None of which is hard. Just make sure to solder and seal all of the connections.

The results so far: I was only able to drive it for about 15 minutes due to dinner waiting. The initial results are great. The car is much smoother. I didn't go above 5 or 6 pounds due to the fact I still have the RRFPR in line and will be removing it tonight.

More to come shortly.

'84 Executive
Miller MAF Conversion
Miller Wastegate
Miller Tuner's Kit
GReddy Profec B

The grass that is greener on the other side had a lot of BS applied

PsRumors
Garage Guru

165 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  17:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the Cartech removed. Drove the car and it runs GREAT! Great I tell you. At a lite throttle cruise I always had kind of a stumble. Of course I was running 18:1 A/F ratio which is way lean, course I was getting 27 mpg. At cruise now I am at 16.5:1 A/F ratio and the stumble is gone. The car is much more smooth at cruise. Under WOT and 15 pounds of boost, yes 15 I am seeing 12.8:1 A/F ratio. The car is at least as fast but both my son and I feel it is faster.

I will continue to drive the car the next few days and keep a log as to A/F ratios, mpg and general drivability and will update as I go. I think this will prove to be a much better way of tuning these cars as time goes by. Nothing against the Cartech this should just give a little more control and fine tunability.

'84 Executive
Miller MAF Conversion
Miller Wastegate
Miller Tuner's Kit
GReddy Profec B

Go To Top Of Page

Joe745i
Garage Guru

128 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  18:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Sounds like fun. I would be curious to know the hp increase from, let's say my dyno runs at 6psi with the AFM setup (232hp at the rear wheels). The mpg is very encouraging. Do you have the stock injectors or the RC engineering 305's?

Joe

Edited by - Joe745i on Jan 14 2007 18:06:14
Go To Top Of Page

PsRumors
Garage Guru

165 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  18:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know the stock injectors Joe.

'84 Executive
Miller MAF Conversion
Miller Wastegate
Miller Tuner's Kit
GReddy Profec B

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  18:38:31   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PICS?

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  19:16:09   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Ron, You say your running 12.8:1 AFR at 15 psi? not bad, if you find you could use a little more fuel up there let me know. I will help you out. You can also ad fuel with your tuners kit. Im glad its working good for you. Thanks for all the positive imput.

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Email: dan@millerperformancecars.com
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  23:17:35  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
12.8:1 is gettin pretty lean for 15psi. I'd rather see in the 11.3-11.71: area.

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

PsRumors
Garage Guru

165 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  04:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am much happier at 12.8 than at 10.0. I have the tuners kit and can play but these are initial numbers with no fiddling. I had no detonation either. I am sure I will be investing in the Miller aftercooler by summer as I don't think the car will be able to pull 15 psi in 90 degree weather at 12:1, which is the number I am shooting for.

Pics will come today.

'84 Executive
Miller MAF Conversion
Miller Wastegate
Miller Tuner's Kit
GReddy Profec B

Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  17:59:44  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I never said to be in the 10:1 area either. You're running quite lean, those are N/A numbers you're working with.... not high boost digits.

Just trying to warn you. [bb] I don't want to see your motor melt down or blow a headgasket.

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  19:13:53   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good imput hitman, but if there is no detonation he is ok for now. Im working with Ron to get his tuners kit all set up.
He will be able to then do more.

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Email: dan@millerperformancecars.com
Go To Top Of Page

PsRumors
Garage Guru

165 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  07:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I appreciate it Hit Man. Any input is always appreciated. Will update as things progress.

'84 Executive
Miller MAF Conversion
Miller Wastegate
Miller Tuner's Kit
GReddy Profec B

Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.94 secs. Snitz Forums 2000