BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 Marketplace
 Miller Performance
 Somewhat lost on the Tuning + MAF kit...
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  14:31:58  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
From what I can tell, the two kits are seperate yet can operate independent OR together correct?

With either (?) I will not have to buy that chip to remove the boost cut correct? But I will need the adjustable wastegate to go past about 9psi... ?

What's the diameter of the MAF meter itself?

Is fuel the only thing to be controlled or is timing included?

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.

PsRumors
Garage Guru

165 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  15:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hit Man, you are correct. The tuners kit and MAF conversion can be installed by themselves or as a set.

As for chips. You will need to install the one that comes with the MAF conversion in order for the ECM to understand the MAF information. You would not need to replace the chip to run the tuners kit, though I don't know if there would be much benefit. To go above 6 lbs of boost on a stock ecm I do believe you have to have a chip or the ecm will cut fuel.

The MAF is 90MM.

I am only controlling fuel with the tuners kit. I know the box is capable of more but I believe there have been some problems with automatic cars and playing with the timing. Dan should be able to fill us in more on that one.

HTH

'84 Executive
Miller MAF Conversion
Miller Wastegate
Miller Tuner's Kit
GReddy Profec B

The grass that is greener on the other side had a lot of BS applied
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  13:08:10  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So if I utilize both, I will have unlimited control of fuel and boost correct? And the MAF setup comes with the chip to tell the PCM what the scoop is?

90mm is good, that's what I was thinking of going with if I build a MegaSquirt. I have all the info. But if this will allow me to control the same with greater ease, I may go this route.

I'm going to use meth injection to help limit (or eliminate) any potential knock/detonation so I may not need the ability to tune timing but it would be nice to run more with the higher octane fuel.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

PsRumors
Garage Guru

165 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  16:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boost I am controlling with a GReddy Boost Controller. I do believe the Tuner's kit is capable of controlling boost with the right setup but haven't played with that.

The MAF does come with a chip.

HTH

'84 Executive
Miller MAF Conversion
Miller Wastegate
Miller Tuner's Kit
GReddy Profec B

The grass that is greener on the other side had a lot of BS applied
Go To Top Of Page

345is

550 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  11:12:12   View 345is's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit 345is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We can make you a chip for any application, any amount of boost and any amount of Ign. retard. Also any chip we supply will have the boost limmit removed. so if you are interested in any of these things let me know I or one of the other board members should be able to help you.

Dan Miller
Miller Performance
Miller Performance
Email: dan@millerperformancecars.com
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  15:34:13  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay cool deal.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  12:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a little confused. The above discussion seems to indicate the MAF conversion is available for the 745 (85 model); however, the Miller Performance site does not include it in the application schedule that I have viewed. Is it available?

rick
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  09:08:56  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's available, I was emailing Sir Scott about it. I think I just need to speak with him on the phone for a few last questions before I order it up.

But as I understand the kit contains:

MAF meter
harness for MAF meter
integration harness
Split Second piggyback
Chip to remove boost limit

My only question is being able to add larger fuel injectors, 30s will not fuel what I have in progress. They'll be fine under 400hp which is fine for most folks.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  11:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hit Man X, If there are two kits, which are you referring to? Or is the one for which you indicate the components, sufficient for full adjustment? What I am getting to is when you mention "...the kit" which kit are you talking about and what is the cost of that kit? Is the MAF conversion the Split Second unit?

Rick
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  15:52:59  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ra0507

Hit Man X, If there are two kits, which are you referring to? Or is the one for which you indicate the components, sufficient for full adjustment? What I am getting to is when you mention "...the kit" which kit are you talking about and what is the cost of that kit? Is the MAF conversion the Split Second unit?

Rick

See this is where I was confused. I believe there was a tuning only box that utilized the AFM and a MAF only kit that used the stock Motoronic.

The kit you want is $1400-1500 or so and contains:

MAF meter
harness for MAF meter
integration harness
Split Second piggyback
Chip to remove boost limit

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  19:58:32   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The first kit Dan built for the 745i is still up on my site, although Dan doesn't produce it anymore. I have been too lazy to take it down and no one seems to have bought any, anyway.

It looked like this:

The original prototype in my car looked like this:

Then Dan started using the new chip only system. My car had this protype system: (This was just prior to me selling it to Kevin.)

The latest Miller MAF sensor housings look like this:

However, Dan never made the M106 MAF in this latest format in so far as I know: I think it was working well with manual shift cars, but the automatic version was giving him some headaches due to the analog/digital interface in the ECU programming. Due to lack of interest, he discontinued the automatic MAF kit.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 1.33 secs. Snitz Forums 2000