BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 E32 + 745i Turbo Update Nov. 2009
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Andrew 735i 5spd
Garage Guru

107 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  17:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all who have helped me. I sort of feel like I own a 745i having read/learned so much about them.

I'm just about finished with my e32 735i/e23 745i hybrid project. Just need to finish putting things back together and get another couple pieces of silicone before I'm ready for the long haul. I'm happy to report that boost comes on strong at steady to 8psi by 3100rpm (about 3psi at 2600) and it feels great! I was seeing 9-10 psi before the I/C and without exhaust.

I would guess I'm putting out north of 300hp. My friend with an e34 540 6spd said he thought my car felt faster. Once I'm confident all is well, I'll try covering the waste gate holes and see what I get.

Here's the quick summary:
- 89 735i 5spd 190k
- 745i exhaust manifold, wastegate, turbo, and intake pipe (l-jet style with dump back to turbo)
- Begi 2025 RRFPR
- TDC turbo chip
- 24lbs injectors
- O2 Clamp
- Oil to turbo from oil pressure switch (adapter from TRM)
- Custom 2.25" deep I/C from Bell
- Custom pipes done at local shop
- Stock exhaust connected to 745i down pipes
- VDO boost gauge that I don't know where to put yet

IC to intake pipes:

Turbo to IC pipes
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/cvillebimmer/original/mini-pipe2.JPG[/img

Inter cooler installed behind bumper. A/C and Aux Fan in tact. Just need to watch out for curb stops and road kill!

1990 735i 5spd ~ 745i Turbo Project

Edited by - Andrew 735i 5spd on Oct 29 2009 10:56:40

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  19:13:04  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Get yourself a good boost controller and it'll come on even faster.

Are you still using the stock cats?

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

kenbec37
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  19:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, can you tell me where you have your vacuum lines that are connected to your intake pipe (l-jet style with dump back to turbo)
Where did you hook up the two vacuum lines. I am having a hard time finding this out. Also, what is the purpose of this valve?
Thanks,
Go To Top Of Page

Andrew 735i 5spd
Garage Guru

107 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  05:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hit Man X

Get yourself a good boost controller and it'll come on even faster.

Are you still using the stock cats?

What kind of boost controller would you recommend?

Yes, still using the stock cats. May upgrade later, but I need to let the slush fund replenish for a while.

Go To Top Of Page

Andrew 735i 5spd
Garage Guru

107 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  05:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kenbec37

hello, can you tell me where you have your vacuum lines that are connected to your intake pipe (l-jet style with dump back to turbo)
Where did you hook up the two vacuum lines. I am having a hard time finding this out. Also, what is the purpose of this valve?
Thanks,

The vacuum line to the dump valve is connected to the manifold vacuum nipple located behind the intake manifold. The valve is opened when under vacuum conditions and relieves excess pressure when going out of boost. In my application, I've teed it to run a vacuum line to the RRFPR.

There is a second vacuum connection on the venturi pipe, but I'm not using it. I believe it would connect to the distributor to advance timing on the 745i.

Go To Top Of Page

dnliii
Over 745 Posts!

1405 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second nipple is for factory overboost switch on firewall.
Go To Top Of Page

kenbec37
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would this set up be for manual transmission verses automatics?
And thanks to all for the replies based on this set up in the post.
Go To Top Of Page

Andrew 735i 5spd
Garage Guru

107 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  10:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kenbec37

would this set up be for manual transmission verses automatics?
And thanks to all for the replies based on this set up in the post.

The setup was for the early L-jet 745i automatic. I do not believe there was ever a factory 745i manual. All the manuals out there have been converted.

From what people here have told me, this set up and the design of the venturi pipe is better for retrofitting to a manual trans because the dump (blow off valve) sends the air back down to the turbo keeping your spool up during shifts. I have nothing to compare it to though, so maybe others have different experience.

Go To Top Of Page

Andrew 735i 5spd
Garage Guru

107 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  11:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been running for a couple months now on the new HG and ARP studs. The head looked good when I pulled it off and considering I had never had a problem with the head before, I didn't bother to have it tested - lesson learned... Sometime after the HG change the car developed a nasty idle and a violent shudder under acceleration below 2k rpm. Having gone through countless hours of diagnosis to the fuel, intake and ignition systems without any luck, the problem has made itself clear...

I had intermittent heat on my way to work Tuesday and knew I was in trouble. I bled a little air out of the system before I left for the 8 mile drive home and by the time I reached the garage the temp gauge was at 3/4. Sure enough, the cooling system pressurized with exhaust gases, damn... At least I can quit the random trouble shooting now.

My plan is to do a compression test tonight and then pull off the head. Hopefully the problem is obvious. My best guess is that I'll find low compression in at least one cylinder and likely a bad valve. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.

I'm in no rush this time with the head gasket job and at the very least I will have the head tested/repaired. The wastegate gives me 9psi now and I plan to take the car to 12 psi with a little mod to the wastegate assuming I can get it running properly at 9psi. I would like to build with room for 15psi in the future, but that will likely require a new turbo and I don't plan to do that until the kkk27 craps out. Any thing else I should consider? David you had recommended someone who rebuilds the intake/head to Hartage specs? Maybe I'm making that up.

Or maybe I should throw in the towel and buy a B7 Alpina (after winning the lottery). I test drove one yesterday at the Komen drive for the cure event: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Experience/Events/Komen/Default.aspx. Holy crap! The massive 21in wheels broke free on the highway at 70mph. Okay, it was wet, but still... amazing! If the tour is coming your way, it's worth a drive.

Not a bimmer, the vid is well worth your time to watch. I don't think I'd want to be the guy on the segway... http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/sm.....=FFFFFF&autoplay=0

Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  06:18:01  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You'll figure it out, just keep at it.

I'm playing the waiting game currently with the friendly delivery guys.

Hell, I must be sadistic to own three of these cars. hahah

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

Panzer
Garage Guru

185 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  04:30:48   View Panzer's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you get the rubber suction piece between the MAF and the Turbo inlet? I got a new one from a dealer (for M106) and mine has the crankcase ventilation inlet on the opposite side of yours. Is that the standard on M102? Does anybody know?

Mariusz
1988 E32 735i w/M106 [aka Panzermobile]
1986 Jaguar XJS V12
2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Never use any force ... just get a bigger hammer.

Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.86 secs. Snitz Forums 2000