BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 Normally Aspirated BMWs
 M5 M6 M7 Discussion
 M88 AFM vs MAF
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cjarvis01
Grease Monkey

73 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  07:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy new year all...

I posted this on the Roadfly E24 form, and thought I'd post here as well given the Miller connection here.

I think my AFM is acting up again. So I am curious what folks views are on replacing it with a stock AFM vs going with a MAF? Any experiences with the Miller or Split Second MAFs on a M88? Are there other options beyond those two?
In looking at the two, it looks like Miller does not have a way to make adjustments, you are dependent on the fuel maps in the Miller chip installed in the ECU. To me this sounds limiting compared to the Split Second which has a couple tuning options that modify the MAF signal before it gets the ECU. The limit here is you are stuck with whatever fuel maps are in the ECU chip. My guess is this approach is more flexible/tunable than the Miller. Does this sound right?
The Split Second is pretty pricey. The MAF itself isnt too bad, though it looks like a standard OEM MAF that should cost a lot less. The expense is in the two devices they offer for tuning. One is a cabin mount with adjustment knobs, the other has a serial interface for laptop/software tuning. It just seems they are charging a lot of money for a device that does the fairly simple task of modifying the MAF voltage to suit your needs.

One factor that makes me want more flexibility is the exhaust. The original muffler has a whole and I am leaning toward a Stebro on the replacement system. I dont know how much impact the Stebro will have on the AFR of the motor, and I dont want to be in a situation of not having an adjustment option.

Any experiences to share?

Thanks!!

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  13:21:10   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
See here.

http://scottiesharpe.com/bmw/m5 and click on the MAF link.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.56 secs. Snitz Forums 2000