BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 Installing turbo (with some pictures)
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Hayta
Grease Monkey

79 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  03:02:02  Show Profile  Click to see Hayta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Friends,

My down town trip ended on a trailer that has taken me to the service with lots and lots of oil in my cooling system.

So this means engine will be parted out and be re assambled (hopefully), which means I'll be have to start the turbo project.

I'll inform you frequently about how it goes on and will ask lots of questions as well.

http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5108 link is to remaind the car I have.

wish me good luck ;)

The more I drive others, the more I love my Bimmer

Edited by - Hayta on Feb 05 2009 01:35:36

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  15:05:38  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update.

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

Hayta
Grease Monkey

79 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  00:27:45  Show Profile  Click to see Hayta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Engine has been taken out yesterday and parted out. The prob┼čem seems to be with the engine block.

It has been surface cleaned before (with the old owner) but the job is not well done; we have realised that the first cylinder area was cleaned some more than the remaining. so it will again have a surface clean.

For the internals I have JE 8.0:1 forgeds + rings with stock rods and cranck and metric mechanic cranck and rod bearings.

Any advices will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerem

Edited by - Hayta on Jan 27 2009 01:02:13
Go To Top Of Page

dnliii
Over 745 Posts!

1405 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  06:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch out for cracks around the head bolt bores.
Go To Top Of Page

Hayta
Grease Monkey

79 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  23:01:19  Show Profile  Click to see Hayta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. will check it today.

Go To Top Of Page

Hayta
Grease Monkey

79 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  04:53:29  Show Profile  Click to see Hayta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some pictures taken on yesterday.

Bayby in pre assambly

JE forgeds and surface cleaned block

My friend (orange in color), repairsman (he's also my friend), unfortunately I'm taking the pictures.

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:54:53   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The bores look clean....too clean. Did you discover what was wrong? Did the headgasket die?

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

Hayta
Grease Monkey

79 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Click to see Hayta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottie

The bores look clean....too clean. Did you discover what was wrong? Did the headgasket die?

bores are new too :) engine became so new that it will be a project car for my son too I think :)))

Actually there was nothing wrong with the headgasket. The surface clean on the block was not done perfectly. the area that has water vessel and oil vessel near the first cylnder was cleaned a little bit more. so even if the head bolts were tightened perfectly head was not pressing the gasket as much as needed at the regarded area.

Go To Top Of Page

Hayta
Grease Monkey

79 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  01:27:11  Show Profile  Click to see Hayta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Updates:

Engine is assemled and went back into its place in the hood :)

some pictures taken on yesterday

final minutes of the engine while out

we tried one man instead of some horses :) it didn't drift well :):P

also some video is availible too. I'll upload it in near future.

finally baby is placed in an partially connected

Go To Top Of Page

joemadoo
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  01:06:07  Show Profile  Send joemadoo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thought you weren't supposed to use the m30 exhaust gaskets for the turbo manifold?

'86 335i soon to be 345i
Go To Top Of Page

Andrew 735i 5spd
Garage Guru

107 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  05:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the stock gaskets briefly before I changed my head gasket. Currently, I've coated the squished stock 745i gaskets with some high temp RTV (the red stuff) because I was too cheap to buy new rings. So far, I have no exhaust leaks.

1990 735i 5spd ~ 745i Turbo Project
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 1.14 secs. Snitz Forums 2000