BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (1) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 Readers' Rides & PROJECT BLOGS
 turbo 6 project
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  09:03:50  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few pics of some work that i've done in the last year. These are not in any real order, I really wanted to post stuff earlier to share but computer was acting funny..

this is me towing my 1989 635csi (recently converted to manual, full suspension upgrades including poly bushings) to my house for installation of more goodies

this is a 745i mount. this was neccessary as the m30 mount interferes with the turbo. 3/8" steel plate from the local yard, bolted braced and welded to the frame should be strong

i didnt weld this, I would have taken more care. the flanges I had made from stainless steel by an old gearhead from scratch, exhaust pipe was bent and welded by a local shop for 400. it is 3" strait through, magnaflow muffler and has a cat, but it is hollow lol historic tags baby!

gaskets made with dremel custom flanges custom gaskets

it is easier to leave these alone if possible (console). I had the unfortunate experience of removing this to make repairs and paint, it was not fun. z3 shifter arm and new bushings (along with an auto to manual swap this is an 89) momo knob 260/6 trans (out of my e28) s2.93 big diff e34 m5 hd clutch new slave cylinder etc. btw if anyone has this paint color in a spray can let me know, i tried to find a matching color for the "natur" leather impossible

NO COMMENT!

summit racing had these stupid red vdo blub covers on backorder for almost a month and a half very frustrating

the pedal cluster for manual/auto is the same! you can just unbolt the clutch pedal and bolt it on to manual cluster, you just have to cut the auto brake pedal to size (this is e28/e24, dunno about e23)

this is so cool i dont even car about the 100lbs people are complaining about

it's nice to see that bmw used the same low level sensors in the e24 and e36. Even though i had to drill out the pre cast boss on the 318i one it was still there. the smaller tank leaves room for the air filter

I put lots of love in the making of these

i used a t on the oil pressure sender port to incorporate a new sender for the oil pressure gauge, dummy light, and briaded line for turbo oil suppy. i got a lesson in npt, a/n, and metric fittings. summit racing has hardly any metric. still missing maf clamps on intercooler pipes (and final fitment/clearancing) i debated and researched the charcoal canister removal and decided to keep it (any suggestions to the dilema?)
]

latest update. new gas tank, axles, and the rear end is now rust free (as much as possible) cut out all rusty metal welded in clean, bondo and paint in my garage!

car ran 13.6 at 105 with slipping m5 clutch and 12.5lbs boost
I replaced with a spec stage 3+ last weekend and will turn the boost up to 14lbs with the larger methanol nozzle once the 500 mile break-in has passed. Aiming for 12.9 @ 110mph. The 1/4 mile test is marginal at best. Air to air intercoolers make more power on the street, heat soak is the enemy. I would post pics but apparantly "no file to upload" ? any suggestions?

new update: blown head gasket... that is all.
next step 42lb injectors and megasquirt!

Edited by - kelvin on Jan 18 2012 12:22:40

ARINUTS
Master Technician

236 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  20:27:20   View ARINUTS's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could have used a 633 engine mount.
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  18:35:15  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah i know.. i think you (?) told me that earlier this year. i was unable to find one in a weeks time, everybody claimed to have one but it looked exactly like the one i already had. At least now i have lots of clearance.
Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  22:07:53   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
sweet! I like the looks of that afm guage. what is that.

heavy duty job for a single space garage! Kudos!!

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  17:57:19  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Scottie, thanks for the kudos.
That is an AEM afr gauge; i think i paid around 200 for it. It comes with it's own O2 sensor and has good reviews. There is a switch inside the gauge that changes the color of the backlighting to match your stock gauges (around 7 settings). There is red and an orange-red and matches bmw perfectly. It is very cool.. I bought miller performance's m30 tuning package today and hopfully the car will be running in 2 weeks. I have learned a whole lot from this site in the last 5 years thanks everyone!
-Kelvin
Go To Top Of Page

Diego_C
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  12:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the 633 motor mount only necessary when putting the M102 or M106 in the E24 or is it also needed when putting the 745 parts on a standard M30B28? I'm currently busy completing my shopping list.
I've already got the manifold, turbo, downpipe,wastegate, 24lb injectors, BEGI RRFPR, plumbing bits,Oil filterhousing,.... So I'm almost there I guess.

1983 BMW 628Csi Euro
1970 Opel Manta 2.0 GSI
2005 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI
2006 Opel Meriva 1.3 CDTI
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  13:18:45  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The turbo gets in the way of the m30 motor mount. Mine is a m30b35 with all associated 745 parts. I have been told about the 633 mount, everyone who told be they had one looked like mine. Make sure it is really off a 633 or 533? You will need to do something.
Go To Top Of Page

Diego_C
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  16:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what diameter did you use for the oil return in the oilpan? Did you use standard 1/2npt or a smaller diameter? Do you have any pictures of your oil drain?
Thanks

1983 BMW 628Csi Euro
1970 Opel Manta 2.0 GSI
2005 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI
2006 Opel Meriva 1.3 CDTI
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  00:06:21  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Diego,
I do not remember the exact size of the threaded nipple used. Home depot's best. It is def at least 1/2". The boss is already on the m30 block it just needs to be drilled out and tapped. I decided it was better to go the route bmw decided rather than drill and tap the oil pan (even though you can weld it).
Go To Top Of Page

t205843
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  20:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a picture of where this oil return boss is located on the m30 block or describe location?
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  12:06:30  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once the turbo is bolted up, the oil return tube is literally 3 inches directly above the boss. It looks like a little ledge or a shelf the protrudes out of the block behind the m30 engine mount bracket.

Edited by - kelvin on Aug 14 2011 12:08:31
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.41 secs. Snitz Forums 2000