BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (1) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 Readers' Rides & PROJECT BLOGS
 turbo 6 project
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

9mil
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  18:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blown headgaskets suck!
Keep posting with the stuff and I like that air to air intercooler u have on there- especially the tubing.... You should make a kit- so I don't have to!

1987 635CSI- turbo conversion
1998 540i 6spd sport
2005 XC90
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  15:11:49  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks 9mil. You can buy mandrel bent tube kits called "build kits" for around 100 shipped, however I don't remember where I got it. I'm actually looking forward to doing the gasket but it's been too cold here in MD for me to start. I'll be sure to keep posting though.
Go To Top Of Page

9mil
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  18:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What size tubing is that- i like that it subs up snug on the oil pan on its way to the inlet on the intercooler.

did you say you are going with studs and a MLS gasket?

1998 540i 6spd sport
2005 XC90
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  18:09:18  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The pipes I used are 2 1/4". The intercooler is a megan racing (seems like good quality). They came in 2 sizes and this was the smaller one. I was told recently that for high hp (500 or so) I would need more like 3" piping..
I was gonna go with mls and arp but decided to go oem. The headgasket gave out on me at 14-15psi with some sort of miss happening and it probably would have been the pistons if I had the mls. Oem is also cheaper. I'll let you know if I decide to upgrade the tubing.
Go To Top Of Page

9mil
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  16:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a guy that quite possibly would buy your old tubing :-)

1998 540i 6spd sport
2005 XC90
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - May 28 2012 :  17:50:22  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Update:
Megasquirt is up and running after a few hiccups. I definately learned a lot about the 88/89 model year in the process. Bmw changed some wiring around because of the updated 1.3 in the older chassis. Had my buddy sit with the laptop and we got up to 13psi (190kpa) tuned yesterday. Fuel maps corrected and advanced the timing till it knocked in each cell then back it off .5degrees (at 90 degrees without the methanol). Runs great. Much smoother than with an MAF, and once the megasquirt program was learned, very easy to tune. Thanks a lot David for all the time you spent dealing with the wiring on this one. Once we tune up to the 20psi range I will dyno and post the results for the stock 9/1 bottom end.
-Kelvin
Go To Top Of Page

9mil
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  19:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive! Very interested in what power range you are in... I've always been jealous of MS but never really played with it to feel confident enough to take the plunge... Keep us posted!

1998 540i 6spd sport
2005 XC90
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  18:24:23  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK.
I blew the HG again as a result of a crappy used aem meth controller and replaced the gasket this time with mls and arp thanks to TCD.
Decided it was time to take a trip to the dyno.
15psi seems to be close to the limit (at least on the dyno) before the IAT skyrockets even with meth/water injection. On the street it is a different story because the FMIC does a good job. The IAT/MAT never climbs above 90 degrees even in hot weather.
At 15psi the car made 325rwhp and 398rwt.
I am posting the dyno plot as well as a datalog from the last run I made. You can see the IAT/MAT rising to 112degrees at 5300rpms after full boost is reached which retards my timing table 3 degrees and as a result probably loses more than a few hp. I also posted a video of the run if anyone is interested and my timing table (scary).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0F3TyudW5U

Go To Top Of Page

trev0006
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  11:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an awesome setup, this is exactly want I want to do.

quote:
Originally posted by kelvin

OK.
I blew the HG again as a result of a crappy used aem meth controller and replaced the gasket this time with mls and arp thanks to TCD.
Decided it was time to take a trip to the dyno.
15psi seems to be close to the limit (at least on the dyno) before the IAT skyrockets even with meth/water injection. On the street it is a different story because the FMIC does a good job. The IAT/MAT never climbs above 90 degrees even in hot weather.
At 15psi the car made 325rwhp and 398rwt.
I am posting the dyno plot as well as a datalog from the last run I made. You can see the IAT/MAT rising to 112degrees at 5300rpms after full boost is reached which retards my timing table 3 degrees and as a result probably loses more than a few hp. I also posted a video of the run if anyone is interested and my timing table (scary).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0F3TyudW5U

http://www.dpccars.com/ http://www.discountpartcenter.com/

Go To Top Of Page

scottie
System Administrator

3845 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  16:31:01   View scottie's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Visit scottie's Homepage  Send scottie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. Awesome Power! Hope you get some reliability from the new head gasket.

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA
Discussion Board SYSOP

88 Dinan M5
1968 2002

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
My Profile
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Prev Page | Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.33 secs. Snitz Forums 2000