BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 Normally Aspirated BMWs
 The E23 Board
 speedometer calibration for tire size
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  08:59:03  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
16" tires are no longer being made in a 245/45/16 size or even 265/45/16, however there are many still made in a 50 aspect ratio. If I bought a set of 265/50/16 is there a way to correct the speedometer to read faster? I know there is a sensor on the diff, mine is currently a 3.25lsd big case. What would happen if I took the sensor out of a 3.46 or 3.64? would it make the speedometer read faster or would I be able to correct the signal elsewhere. I appreciate the input.

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  17:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the sensor in the diff reads a signal from a toothed chopper wheel inside the diff, so changing the sensor wont alter the signal.
Go To Top Of Page

kelvin
Garage Guru

132 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  05:53:45  Show Profile  Send kelvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thats good to know. I found some 245/50/16 tires that will read only a little slower. I have heard german cars read too fast to begin with, hopefully this is true.
Go To Top Of Page

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  04:43:05   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myself I would not be concerned, keep your eyes on the road/tach/temp gauge & the mirrors....and drive on.
But there are specialty firms that do speedo repair and adjustments.
I would bet there is a variable potential resistance screw on the cluster somewhere for factory setting. Problem would be setting up a bench situation to allow adjustment. Would be a pain to drive, pull cluster, adjust, drive again etc. Would be nice to know in case you get a speedo that is way off true reading. In your case....drive on.
Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 1.88 secs. Snitz Forums 2000