BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 Normally Aspirated BMWs
 The E23 Board
 cant access no start file help
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

centeno711
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  13:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought an 84 745i. looking for help getting it started. i read there is a flow chart in the file section but i can't access it it keeps telling me to log in but i am. so word is the car was jumped with polarity reversed and smoke came out of alternator. car has not been started in 7 years from what i have found out. any ways was looking for a step by step to go through. if anyone can hit me with a linoleum or advice of where to start. i am pretty patient and have repaired a few this year that couldn't be made run. just don't want to go in circles. any help is appreciated

84 745i work in progress
02wrx built motor
03excursion (wife car)
12 3/4 ton cummins

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2012 :  17:42:10   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have repaired cars suffering from reverse polarity but not a e23
This should be a learning experience. First off you can consider the alternator, main fuses and even the CPU as toast, most likely. The obc may also prove to be gone but we will be to that.
First off go over all the fuses under the plexiglas box.
Next give a detailed explanation of no start, ie no starter crank, crank but no run etc.
Then we can go down the steps. If you got a new main relay, one on the fire wall passenger side, put it in.
Sorry didn't see your post earlier.
Go To Top Of Page

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2012 :  18:11:19   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the e23 there is no in line fusible link, the positive wire goes right to the starter then right to the alternator. So that wire was your fuse! Before you go too much further inspect that wire for damage . With the car not having been run in 7 years you are up against two problems. With such a long time out of action, look over all the intake hoses, any unmetered air entering the engine will keep it from running. Bad ground conn and electrical conn on the CPU are possible as well as all the relay spade conn.
7 years is a long time, I would oil the cylinders and turn it over with a wrench , a lot. Then after I got the starter to work do a compression test.

Edited by - greg_mazur on Dec 02 2012 03:49:50
Go To Top Of Page

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  10:29:39   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not getting any reply. You can spin these e23 engine easily with starter thru the diag port , to do compression ck or lube the cylinders.
Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.84 secs. Snitz Forums 2000