BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (1) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 Readers' Rides & PROJECT BLOGS
 Dave's Alpinweiss '84 745i
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  18:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had her towed to my house. Bought her off a USMC chopper pilot, not running with 120K miles. He'd been deployed for a while and the car sat for about three years. Body is in decent shape with a few rust spots (odd for SW PA). Bumpers are mostly intact, Euro grille also survived the import process (unless it was swapped on later). I'm no n00b to BMWs, but this is my first turbocharged one...I'm looking forward to some old-fashioned turbo lag!

P.O. passed along some other goodies too - an E34 535i wiring harness, HIDs, spare springs for the aftermarket wastegate, the original english switchgear, etc. So I've been carefully checking out all the electronics & sensors. I'm not quite ready to fire the old gal up, but she's getting there.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions (the board has already been a gold mine of information); but for now just wanted to register & say 'hi.'

'84 745i with a Getrag & many other goodies

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  08:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the rain holds off here, today's fun will be cleaning the engine bay grounds, checking the fuse box feed wire, and removing the gauge cluster. I did manage to test most of the important sensors and get the fuel pumps working yesterday.

I had to jump the FP relay to get some gas through the system, it was bone dry. After I cleaned out the corroded lift pump connector both pumps fired right up. Haven't tested pressure, but flow seemed promising. Fuel gauge told me I had a solid 1/4 tank, but the low fuel light was on at the same time.

I'm assuming that the upper hard line is the supply feed...that's where fuel came out when I fired up the pumps (I was expecting the bottom one as it was originally connected, LOL). So I'm plumbing that to the rear of the fuel rail. The FPR and RRFPR then return fuel to the lower hard line, right?

Her to-do list is still getting longer... The hydroboost system is an oil-soaked leaky mess - that'll need some work. The car's HVAC system seems totally disconnected as well.

I'm told that the PO's brother briefly shorted a 7 gauge amp wire to ground...while installing a sub enclosure. Seems I'll be checking the DME and alternator if I can find a testing routine. If the DME is damaged, I might swap a computer. Anyone ever checked if other 1.0 DMEs like the 325e 027 DME is compatible in any way with the late-model 745i 013 DME? I wouldn't think they were that much different, but I have no real idea.

Go To Top Of Page

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I hear crickets?

I went a little further diagnosing my troubles. Found the DME, pulled it out, touched up a few suspect solder joints. I also determined that it has an aftermarket chip to deal with the transmission swap, I'd guess.

DME still isn't closing that darn FP relay. I'll have to do more digging.

I also replaced all the fuel lines...except one. Guess which one? Yup - the cold start injector. That sucker is spraying raw gas like a sprinkler head!
I hate that CS valve layout on M30s.
But it has to be squared away next. Days like these (almost) make me want an Eta again. Their CS valve is a cinch! OTOH the driver's side of the engine block is now pretty clean.

I did resolve a few little things though. Cleaned the primary grounds & battery terminals. Removed a battery cut-off that was working a little too well. Repaired a split nylon vac line that enters the car near the left hood release (anyone know what it's for - cabin air temp?). Repaired the broken oil pressure sender wire (brown/green wire to the rear of the head, right?).

Edited by - DesktopDave on Aug 15 2013 06:48:01
Go To Top Of Page

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  06:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I pulled the gauge cluster to check it out. It was in pretty decent shape, happily. The odo gear is stripped and a few bulbs are burned out or missing. SI board batteries are in fine shape, both tested out at over 2.8VDC. Love that old style auto transmission range indicator! I might repair it just for the fun of it, once I get the car running. I'm tempted to re-use it as a WBO2 display, but I don't want to damage the original patina of the car.

The inner plastic has some kind of odd texture on it - like the paint is oxidized. I had very little success removing it.

Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  16:02:23  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I usually do not check this section of the forum, now I will.

I had odd issues with the FP relay, turned out I had some lazy grounds. Check the light bulb in the cluster for the 'battery' symbol, if this is burned out the car will not charge.

The chip in the ECU is to delete the boost cut. With the misconnected magnetic valve, it is no surprise the car is so laggy. Car is basically running in safety mode which makes these very slow...my guess very low timing advance.

Guy on Bimmerforums rebuilds those hydroboost boosters for about $90

Man, if you have to swap main ECUs... I would just dump the -013 system as you already have a manual. Even a plain -059 with turbo chip, RRFPR, and 30lb/hr injectors will have as much power as that -013, but have 02 feedback for part throttle, more stable idle due to an ICV, US market parts like AFM/ICV/etc, etc

Now an MS swap would be easier yet for even more power. Really up to you.

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  18:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hit Man X

I had odd issues with the FP relay, turned out I had some lazy grounds. Check the light bulb in the cluster for the 'battery' symbol, if this is burned out the car will not charge.

We think alike! First thing I checked...bulb is good, grounds are freshly cleaned, and I'm planning to solder a resistor across that bulb's legs to prevent that silly circuit from killing my battery.

quote:
The chip in the ECU is to delete the boost cut. With the misconnected magnetic valve, it is no surprise the car is so laggy. Car is basically running in safety mode which makes these very slow...my guess very low timing advance.

Guy on Bimmerforums rebuilds those hydroboost boosters for about $90

I'm not sure if the DME is working at all. I'm methodically testing each circuit as I go. It's a good learning experience, but slow.

I'll have to check out that booster service. One more thing to put on the list, LOL. I think it's just a washer on one of the upper pressure sensors. Given the shoestring budget I'm on, it'll be a while before that happens.

quote:
Man, if you have to swap main ECUs... I would just dump the -013 system as you already have a manual. Even a plain -059 with turbo chip, RRFPR, and 30lb/hr injectors will have as much power as that -013, but have 02 feedback for part throttle, more stable idle due to an ICV, US market parts like AFM/ICV/etc, etc

Now an MS swap would be easier yet for even more power. Really up to you.

I do have an MS 2.2, but I had it earmarked for a motorcycle build. It might yet be my solution.

Has anyone ever swapped a later 1.3 or 3.3 unit? I've had really good luck with those over the years, other than the occasional dead coil and/or burned driver transistor. I have an E34 M30 harness, and have access to a complete '90 535i 5-speed parts car, but I'd assume it's a lot of work to tweak that system for our cars. The bins have to be very different between 1.0 and 1.3. I also have a complete 027 setup (M1.0/M20B27) and a complete 153 (M1.1/M20B25) setup. The wiring harness looks very similar to the early Eta...other than the piggyback knock sensor harness.

Edited by - DesktopDave on Aug 15 2013 18:17:52
Go To Top Of Page

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  19:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got some time in on the car today. Pulled the intake manifold, looks OK. No parts missing (that I can tell), only the usual cracked breather tubes. I'm going to attempt patching them up until I can source some cheap new ones. Most likely I'll run silicone.

Got that little PITA CS injector fuel line installed. I hate doing that job, and every M30 I get needs it! It's all buttoned up now - even better, no fuel leaks! I'll put it back together tomorrow and attempt a compression check, along with a complete test of the ignition system.

Go To Top Of Page

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  13:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The car fired up for the first time today! She's not taking any gas, bucking and stalling, but she's idling acceptably well. I'm thinking I missed some vac leaks, or that little cold-start valve isn't working, or the fuel pressure is too low.

WBO2 reports ~14:1, so a bit lean, but an acceptable starting point.

More testing to follow!

Go To Top Of Page

DesktopDave
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  17:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuel pressure was too low. The FP relay was bad, if you can believe it. Once I jumped that, the car roared to life!

I'm quite content - even though the parts list is getting a bit long, the car is running under its own power. Can't beat that IMHO.

Go To Top Of Page

Keith 85 H7s
Garage Guru

180 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  11:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing how these cars not starting is usually something very simple.

Nice looking ride, well except for the Perl interior, I'm not much for that color. But then folks hate the interior on my white 85, the other PB color, Pacific Blue.

Looking forward to hearing the option rundown on that ride. You can get the ASAP at any BMW dealer parts dept and that will tell you the build info.

There is a speed output on the speedo for the cruise and obc.

I'm always on Bimmerboard and if you haven't seen the project page for the e23, check it out...www.e38.org/e23. Maybe you will find some helpful articles.

I like the posts on BF, folks wanting all your parts. Swap you a new Bav strut brace for that really nice Hartge one? What up with that? And someone is after your rear spoiler, too. I know what you mean about a black spoiler not looking that great at times. I have one for both the beige car and the white car but have not reinstalled the former and never installed the latter. Something about that black band defining the edge of the vehicle. Both will eventually be installed.

Edited by - Keith 85 H7s on Aug 23 2013 14:30:46
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2013 :  14:58:52  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Keith, I am going to zip you that PDF for the alarm stuff. PC is back on! Let me know when you receive it!

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.38 secs. Snitz Forums 2000