BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 Normally Aspirated BMWs
 The E23 Board
 key wont turn. How to take off the tumbler?
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

srfsteve
Gas-fueled God

653 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2014 :  13:40:49  Show Profile  Send srfsteve a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
its an 84 745. ive wiggled the steering wheel, shifted in and out of park, squirted graphite lube in the lock. no joy. It wont even turn to the on position. I took the steering wheel off and then the snap ring. no help. Do you have to take off the ignition switch? how to do that ?

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  18:50:44   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take off the steering column half shells. There is a small set screw underneath holding the entire ignition key lock assy in position. Once loosened the lock assy will slide out. The ignition switch is just that a separate replaceable switch with connector right in the column. Most likely worn and jammed . Make sure you got battery disconnect during this repair and careful on that set screw don't loose or over tighten. Set screw head may be covered in paint or light coat of glue to hold in place. It is difficult to align with ignition key lock assy, look for detent in new switch purchased from Bavaria auto sport.
Most of this from memory, if you can't figure it put will post here a detailed procedure.
Go To Top Of Page

greg_mazur
Over 745 Posts!

1234 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  12:49:11   View greg_mazur's Photo Gallery  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember you take off just the steering wheel and column bottom half cover, Philips screws.
The set screw (slot blade ) is glued or sealed over. Will be see from below,
The column, holds the switch in place. Mark,the new switch on the outside as to position of screw detent to allow installation and mating with key lock.
Best to wait until you get new switch and it will become obvious how to remove old switch.most likely the plastic coupling bwt key lock and switch has broken which is part of the new switch.

Edited by - greg_mazur on Jul 16 2014 12:52:58
Go To Top Of Page

srfsteve
Gas-fueled God

653 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  15:20:39  Show Profile  Send srfsteve a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Thats probably exactly what I needed. The paint over the set screw made it a mystery.

Thanks
Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 2.05 secs. Snitz Forums 2000