BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 boosting a rebuilt M106
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

superbass
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  12:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys , after owning an m106 for 8 years running on L-Jetronic and Breaking 11 pistons by that time period and blowing around 16 head gaskets on boost trials.... i gave up on my engine after breaking 5 pistons on 1bar of boost ,

I just Rebuilt my egine completly from bottom to top
-Motronic setup
-bigger cramshaft no number x.x cz its an original big size bmw camshaft and its supposed to be installed on an m20 not m30 thats what the guy that used it told me...
-heavy flywheel for stable high end push
-original M30T head bored past the point of the b35 head (got a larger room between the valves then the b35)
-Larger intake valves
-Larger intake pipings
-ported Head both sides
-new pistons
-new rocker arms and everything related to the bottom end + Perfet Circle Piston Rings
-Bored block to the 92mm with new cylinder bores
-new original head gasket
-miled both sides of the block and Head faces
-Larger Down pipe all the way to the back
-Adjustable waste gate
-original turbo
-Double cam Springs For better response

The engines effienciecy is Waaaayyy better then before
-Got lots of torque on bottom end
-stable rpms all threw
-Gas milage is way better
-loads of push when the turbo starts boosting (at 0.7bar now)
-no idea what my CR no idea how to figure it out even

My problems are:
-what can i replace my fuel injectors with ? any other bmw model with bigger injectors with same impedance as the m106?
-im getting a cylinder ping on 0.6-0.7 bar of boost wish i cant understand why i never ping before on my L-jet with 0.7bar even when i was boosting on stock without lowering CR!
-the new engine came with a 018 ecu wish is told to be a 635 ecu ? would this affect me in any way? Note that this engine was running on 1 bar of boost before we took it apart on another car with the same setup
-i have orderd for an FPR waiting for it to arrive any ideas whats the Fuel pressure i need to boost to 1.0 1.1 bar safely ?

Any advice for my setup is appreciated sory for the long post :P
-Note im trying to find a 013 ecu with 1 chip So i can try and order a WAR chip to mount it on it (still havent found one thought)

superbass
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  10:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any kind of help in my problems is appreciated plz help if u can
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  17:14:02  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, the -018 ECU is not a factory 745i Motronic ECU... those only ended in -013. -024, -025. The Ljet ended with -124 and -127. The -018 is a stacked ECU similar to the -013 but it is NOT designed for boost, it was for the 10:1 M30B34 with the 4HP22EH transmission. As such it has a much more aggressive timing curve and different fueling. This is why you are blowing stuff apart. The motor must be going VERY lean and with the advanced timing, boom.

You have serious tuning issues if you are blowing that many head gaskets and pistons. The reason you never pinged on the Ljet at 0.7 bar as it was designed with a mild timing curve and proper fueling to deal with the boost. Do you not own a wideband oxygen sensor setup? I cannot see why anyone would not use one this day in age. For $160 USD you can actually see what is going on and tune accordingly.

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-UEGO-Ratio-Gauge/dp/B00N3VGPYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432944486&sr=8-1&keywords=AEM+wideband

Buy that, you want to see low to mid 12s at full throttle. Idle around 14:1, cruise in the mid 15s with a totally stock Motronic.

Stop wasting time dealing with the old Motronics from the 745i, if you must have Motronic, just install a -059 with a timing chip, 30lb/hr high impedance injectors, and a BEGI RRFPR. That will be a safe setup and able to support 250-300rwhp, the restriction is the AFM itself. If you measure surface area out, it comes out to around 55mm. Very small.

If you want WAR, just convert the car to 1.3 Motronic using a -179 harness from an E32.

I would go Megasquirt 2, but that is me.

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

superbass
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - May 31 2015 :  11:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off thanks for ur reply appreciate the help Hope u continue to check the progress
i am waiting on a list of items to Arrive
-A/F ratio gauge
-700hp Fuel pump
-FPR
-013 ECU
-Stailess Steel Brake Lines
-Blow Off Valve
-and right now im Upgrading my turbo Propellers to accomadate at least 1.6bar of boost
These Stuff are coming

BUT as for Megasquirt and War chip they may be 300$ for u but to reach my coutry they are well above 700$ and the engine actually costs 900 ... enoug said about that my Plan is i am getting the Single Chip 013 Ecu so i can remove my original Chip and replace it with a Programmable Chip , already got the bin files and SDK files for my 745 so Whats ur thoughts on That like programming it using TunerPro Should it be enough ? if i get the War chip it should be the same as that right? its just stuck with the Hardware.

if i get MegaSquirt i cant find anything related to the m106 with megasquirt no idea how it works no idea how to manage it no idea how to fix it on a m106 and no one mentioning if its the same stuff as the m106 or difference or somthing (clueless)

as for fuel Injectors im asking the local Bosh center for Replacements or uprage for the original injectors and they dont know about this stuff x.x and i cant figure out the bosh serial numbers or colors x.x anyone got a hint on that?a part number or sothing that indicates the CC of the injector and impedance?
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  16:38:53  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure why you keep wasting time with Motronic, the AFM is a huge cork and 1.6 bar is going to lead to trouble with your build.

You can only fit so much air through the AFM, it is about equivalent to a 55mm hole. That means it is good for 270-300rwhp before it really starts hurting power.

How does it run $400 USD to ship a Megasquirt unit to your country? Due to exchange rate? Even if so, are you willing to blow up another motor due to poor engine management?

Just look for turbo M30 information, information on tuning is the same.

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

superbass
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2015 :  02:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up on motronic after i found the 013 ecu the car still behaved badly and even lost more power then the 018 ecu that was it for the motronic

-My fuel pump still didn't arrive (Bosh center sucks badly)each week they say this week it will arrive still hoping it will arrive someday...

-My mtx-l AFR arrived and installed the bung

-( the day i installed it a bearing broke inside the gearbox) still haven't found a mechanic to take it apart
If it doesn't get fixed im thinking of converting to 6speed manual instead of the 5speed 1stgear down gearbox

-also i bought a ms2 unassembled and finished assembling it

-searching for a toothed crank wheel now

-and trying to find an iat sensor in the nearby dealers

- going threw the ms2 manuals over and over still got lots of stuff that im not understanding thought

-also i cant figure out what fuel injectors should i get if anyone can recommends something that fits in the m106 rail( i can only buy from amazon for governmental reasons)

-ms2 costed 300$ and an extra 280$ for shipping and costumes

-when i finaly find all the parts and fix my gearbox ill post back here and hopfully start wiring the ms2 to the car
Go To Top Of Page

superbass
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  08:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continuing Where i Left :
-Switched to MS2 / and kept the original harness and added megasquirt to it with
-AFR Gauge
-Intake Temp Sensor
-Toothed wheel sensor
-injectors
-fuel pump

Basicaly everything is in its place now Running on megasquirt with a final tune But i got a major Problem

-the original K27 is not handling my engines potential
Broke the first turbo i had after i pushed it to 1.4bar of boost After the Logs i noticed that i got Full boost on like 3800Rpm on 4th gear and on 4000Rpm The boost starts Droping Till 6500Rpm it would have droped by 0.4Bar wish is not healthy neither for the turbo or the engine , This turbo has a tiny inducer and a Very restrictive Housing both front and rear

Now i want an upgrade i can either Do a costume made headers to fit either a T3 or T4 Single Scroll But i Cant figure out what turbo to get to still have a power band between 3k rpm and 6k rpm, Some sugested me the :
BW s300sxe-8376
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbos/borgwarner-airwerks/borgwarner-s300sxe-8376-62mm.html
Some said go with the Precision 6265
http://store.stevebilt.com/product_p/precision_6265.html
Some said go with a HX40 (no details what so ever)
-Also if Acnyone knows what Garret turbo is equal to those BW and PT please Share the info cz we have a garret dealer here would be safer to get it From here rather then Shiped

For me i want a turbo that would still fit in that under carriage in the same spot of my old turbo ... i can modify the headers however i want to and the turbo should be one with 70+lbs Flow rate to keep up with the 302 Cam

Any suggestions any info ? Anyone that has ever come accross or have one of these turbos or know where to get them cheap and has Dimesnions for them to try and see if they do fit please Help :) that is the last peace to complete the Engine Hoping to get somthing above 500Whp with this setup Safely

Edited by - superbass on Mar 25 2016 08:58:29
Go To Top Of Page

papito
Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  18:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hy sorry for this reply but I am in need for pistons for the M106 do you know where I can find or some one?

Edited by - papito on Dec 29 2016 18:39:17
Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.58 secs. Snitz Forums 2000