BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 General or Non-Automotive Topics
 First Post Goes Here!
 new member and new owner of a 745i
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cedarb78
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2015 :  06:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and Now a new owner of a 1984 745i.
The car has had better days but no rust in the body has been found as of yet! Only a bit of dried up vacuum hoses and oxidation on all the aluminum parts. I picked it up down in Florida,USA Its been in storage for year's without the proper preservation of basically the whole drive terrain fuel is gel and the coolant is showing signs of age.
I have started the cleaning of the fuel system and found that the fuel tank has some holes and the in-tank pump basically fell apart when pulled.
Is there an upgrade to the in - tank fuel pump?
I'm also looking for a fuel tank? Or would fixing and re-sealing the old one be better?
Thanks for all the info on this car its helping me make sense of what this car is and I'm really looking forward to driving it!

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2015 :  12:33:57  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard!

The euro tank is a bit bigger than the US tank, so I would try to have it repaired or resealed. If you do go with a US tank, remember to chance the sending unit accordingly...

You can install a high pressure/high volume intank. You will need to braze a fitting on the outlet side of the pipe to an 8mm or 5/16" as pretty much every pump out there is that size and BMW went with around a 12mm or 1/2" feed line.

Throw some pictures up and post progress please!

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

cedarb78
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2015 :  21:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im having trouble loading pics. It could be my tablet. I'll look over the tank and get a better idea of what it would take to repair it. As for the pump that sounds pretty straight forward in getting that completed. When we pulled the tank it had about 1/2 inch of sludge from the old fuel. it looked like there was 2 or 3 small pin holes corroded through the bottom as well.
What psi pump would work well with stock fuel system right now but allow upgrades to power output later?
I'm looking at upgrades to the engine later on once I know it runs well.
So does anyone have any idea how many of these 745's are still around or how many were produced?
Go To Top Of Page

cedarb78
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2015 :  21:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for all of the questions I'm kinda excited about getting it running and getting to know it better! I kick myself for letting my 1973 3.0S go. I do miss it but now I have a new start at something kinda special!

Edited by - cedarb78 on Jun 07 2015 21:40:09
Go To Top Of Page

cedarb78
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2015 :  23:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I think I may have stumbled upon my pic upload problem. Could be the file type. I did get one pick of the car before shipping it posted to the bmwturbo Facebook page.
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  15:26:25  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stock inline is 130lph, not sure on the intank as it is a low pressure, low volume. You can do what a bunch of us did and just install a 255lph inline and a good replacement intank. An early 70s GM Vega intank works well on these cars.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2153687-In-tank-fuel-pump-replacement-quot-guide-quot-For-E23-cars-with-dual-fuel-pumps&highlight=vega+pump

The Vega info here is not current for part numbers.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  15:34:43  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh on the amount left? No one really knows, about 16,000 were manufactured in total.

I would guess 2500 were imported in total due to exchange rates, military guys, and general car fanatics. Yet, my WAG is just that... a wild ass guess. If there are 100 in excellent, driving shape I would be shocked. Most that are found are like yours... in storage or broken.

Sure there are guys that are not internet regulars, I can think of five in the DFW area I am in that are in that category with a 745i

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

cedarb78
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  17:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well all the more reason to give it a new chance on life!
Its currently stored in southern Louisiana where I work so when I'm there I can work on it in the evenings and on breaks!
A coworker and I have made a plan of one year from now we will drive it up Pikes Peak! Will have to see how that goes. Lol
Go To Top Of Page

cedarb78
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  18:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the in tank pump. Looks like I will go that way but the original plastic screen has fallen apart from age so there's a new problem to deal with.
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  12:25:00  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, unless a 745i is fully rotted out, it should be given another chance on the road!

A member on bimmerboard, Espoe, used to import them when he was in his mid 20s. Real neat story, you should read it.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 4.03 secs. Snitz Forums 2000