BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 735i m106 swap
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottgps
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  18:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and so far I it has been super help.

So my brother and I are about to start a project with his 735i 5 speed. Just purchased a 745i engine along with the ecu, dme, and wiring harness.

Before we get started, what are we gonna need to do with the ecu, dme, wiring harness to get it to work? Just plug and play or need to do some splicing?

I know what the wiring I have to do with the 5 speed swap to get it to work. But as for the ecu/dme I'm not quite sure.

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2015 :  23:36:38  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
E23 or 32?

This is my sig...

Four 745i! One '83 and three '85...I am a glutton for punishment.
Go To Top Of Page

scottgps
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  13:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E23
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  13:34:34  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No slicing will be needed to make it work, it is quite a bit of hassle to install it.

I would just install a timing chip from TCD on that -059 ECU, drop in some high impedance 30lb/hr injectors, and a RRFPR. -059 has a better idle valve.

Since this vehicle is a manual, you would do yourself a HUGE favor by just going with a standalone EMS like Megasquirt.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

scottgps
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  16:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to do the standalone, but not sure how comfortable I am to take that on. Are there any that are close to PNP, I don't mind splicing into all the sensors? As for building a standalone, def don't have time to learn that.
Go To Top Of Page

scottgps
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  16:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also looking at the chip from http://www.745i.avulan.eu. What do you think of this?
Go To Top Of Page

scottgps
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  16:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also seen this http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtpnp-g2-b8793-for-the-8792-bmw-e30-325i-p-502.html its for the E32 735i. Not sure if I would be able to make this work or not?
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  18:08:06  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://pftuning.com/

That guy knows his stuff for tuning M30 turbos. Drop him a note. I bet you can just chop the 35 pin connector off your -059 harness and use an MS2 harness from DIYautotune to connect to the OE stuff. Or just pull the -059 harness out and install the new DIY harness, up to you really.

Yes, you will need a chip from Jarmo to get past 10psi if you want to use that -013 Motronic. Otherwise the car will just shut down and go into limp mode. Does the magnetic valve work? If not, you have to replace that also otherwise 2psi of boost. So you will be at least $300 deep into the -013 to run more than stock boost... do you even know if that ECU works? Or just taking the seller's word? Did you also buy the -003 Knock Box? Car will 100% not run with out that.

To run much past 9-10psi you really need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator ($250 for a BEGI, the best do not use something else) and would be foolish not to use a wideband O2 kit such as AEM's 30-4410 to monitor air fuel levels precisely under load. Narrowbands were fine 10+ years ago, now they are dinosaurs. New cars comes with WBO2s due to the precision to maintain target air fuel.

http://www.bellengineering.net/index.php?cPath=7_76

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-UEGO-Ratio-Gauge/dp/B00N3VGPYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433811837&sr=8-1&keywords=aem+wideband

Did it come with the Bosch green top injectors?

See how utilizing the -013 becomes convoluted fast as opposed to just using the -059? Plus if the -013 fails, you get to have fun finding another. A used -059 is $20-50 typically.

Where are you located anyway?

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page

scottgps
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  19:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll def get in contact with him!

Would I need to go with a megasquirt 1 or 2?

RRFR, AFR gauge, boost gauge and controller are on their way

I'm not quite sure on the injectors (planning on replacing them anyways) but I would assume knock box comes with it as its the entire engine, with all the wiring, ecu..etc, I'll double check to be sure, but we pick it up next weekend

I see what you mean now, its def much better to go with the megasquirt.

Edited by - scottgps on Jun 08 2015 20:13:55
Go To Top Of Page

scottgps
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  19:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm located in Pittsburgh, PA
Go To Top Of Page

Hit Man X
Over 745 Posts!

1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  12:07:48  Show Profile  Send Hit Man X an AOL message  Send Hit Man X an ICQ Message  Click to see Hit Man X's MSN Messenger address  Send Hit Man X a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, welcome from Texas.

Unless you perform a leakdown and compression test, you would be wise to pull the cylinder head and have a valve job performed before plopping the motor in...it will almost certainly be skimmed to clean up its surface, bring the upper timing cover if you do this. You can also consider ARP studs and a Cometic gasket then too. Toss in new timing guides (at 30 years old, they have failed or will) and of course a full bottom end gasket set is a no brainer. Upgrade the starter to a B35 style and stud the block too.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2160822-FYI-DIY-%96-M30B35-starter-install-and-stud-swap

I would use MS2.

If you plan to use the -013 just to get the thing up and running, you are best using the OE green top injectors. They are low impedance and flow about 270cc @ 2.5 bar. Send them to a place like Cruzin Performance to be ultrasonically cleaned and flowed on an ASNU machine.

This is my sig...

Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 2.75 secs. Snitz Forums 2000