BMW Turbo Discussion  - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums
User Name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Active Topics (0) | Members | Online Users | Statistics | File Library | Search | Avatar Legend
 All Forums
 The e23 745i and Turbocharged BMW Motor Topics
 BMW M106/M102/M30 Turbo Topics
 A few Tips
Next Page
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2003 :  11:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Windshield wiper blades: standard set up is 16" or 17". You are better off using 20" on the left (driver) side and 18" on the right. More swept area.

Windshield: Make sure to use 0000 stainless steel wool on the windshield once (or more) yearly. This really cleans the windshield and makes the wipers operate much smoother.

Vacuum ports: On the Motronic engine, there are four (4) ports and not 2 or 3 like I thought. The back two are for the hose that connects to the fuel pressure regulator and for the vacuum hose connecting to the air breather hose. If you are not using all three, make sure to cover the unused port(s); otherwise, you will have a significant vacuum leak.

Gauges: Do not buy Nordskog digital gauges. They are remarkably inaccurate. On the boost gauge (0-100 psi) it will not even read 1 psi until you are actually at 5 psi. When I asked Nordskog about the guages, the confirmed that the sensor is not programmed to read boost until 5 psi. The volt gauge reads 0.5-0.9 volts too low (I have to remove it and send it to them for recalibration). They say that they intend to work on the boost gauge issue.

Fueling: Never get gas at a station that is receiving gas from trucks. The gas being sent into the station's tanks stirs up sediment and you will get it in your fuel system (This is a BMP Design Tech Tip)

Rick

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2003 :  21:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My prior comments on the ports were incomplete. What I meant to say is that there are four ports underneath the plenum (two towards the back and two up front and easily accessible). Make sure that all four ports are used or sealed or else you will have a vacuum leak.

Rick

Edited by - ra0507 on Oct 31 2003 10:49:36
Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2003 :  03:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks rick, for that bit of info. next time i'm under the hood i will do as you suggest. good onya!!!!
Go To Top Of Page

cliffo
Over 745 Posts!

768 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2003 :  22:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rick, i had a look today as you suggested, and yes, the back port on the throttle side of the plenum was open to the atmosphere, which could go some way to explaining the sucking sound from around the throttle that i could never chase down. thanks mate
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2003 :  22:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only the sound, but you will find that it will idle and run better.

Rick
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - May 02 2003 :  16:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Distributor Cap, Rotor, Thermostat, Lower radiator hose. They need replacing every so often. Don't think about doing it without removing the radiator, or at a very minimum, remove the fan shroud. Removing the radiator will save you hours.
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - May 05 2003 :  19:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compressor replacement. If you replace your Bosch compressor with a far less expensive Sanden or other similar one, all of which are better than the Bosch according to all Air conditioning experts, save the small square device on the +12V wire to the compressor and use it on the new one. This is a squelching diode, as I understand it and eliminates or softens the spikes as the unit cycles on and off.
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2003 :  09:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hunting" for correct idle speed. If your car's idle fluctuates (sometimes, wildly) for a steady idle speed, the first thing to do, according to my mechanic is turn the auxiliary air screw clockwise (this is not the screw on the air flow meter) to slightly richen the mixture. The hunting comes from leaning out to much and the attempt of the electronics to compensate. Worked for me.

Rick
Go To Top Of Page

ra0507
Over 745 Posts!

1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2003 :  13:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Illumination in the OBC (Motronic version). There is a cartridge with two small lights in it. If one burns out, often the other will not illuminate (suggesting it is wired in series). The replacement lamp cartridge is $33. It can be obtained for less. Otherwise, you can find similar size 1.2w bulbs at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks and solder them in. They work just fine. Place a dab of silicone glue under them to eliminate vibration and I'll bet they last the life of the car.

Dimming Rear View Mirror. If you are near a junk yard that has an old 750, obtain the rear view mirror as it replaces the OEM nicely, can be wired with the wire coming from the vanity light (plus a ground) and is great at dimming when bright lights come up behind you. It will look OEM.

Rick

Edited by - ra0507 on Sep 19 2003 13:45:28
Go To Top Of Page

jacob james
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2003 :  22:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi rick, thank you for the tid bits of info. never had i thought about the filling gasoline truck, but it does make sense.

where and what is the plenum? i would like to check it for leaks.

thank you. jake
Go To Top Of Page

turbo535im
Over 745 Posts!

832 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2003 :  05:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that a E32 750 are they found on other models ( rear view)
Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic |  Reply to Topic |  Bookmark Topic |  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:

Please consider donating to help keep BMW Turbos! online.
Donate now using the link below. Thank you for helping keep the M102/M106 discussion forum alive!

BMW Turbo Discussion - BMW 745i and BMW Turbo Project Forums © Scottie Sharpe Go To Top Of Page
BMW TURBOS! generated this page in 0.83 secs. Snitz Forums 2000